Thread: Hudson 'J' 608 sqdn

Thanks

Default Hudson 'J' 608 sqdn

Can anybody supply the serial number for Hudson 'J' of 608 Sqdn Circa August/September 1942 ? please

Thanks

Default Re: Hudson 'J' 608 sqdn

Can you give us a little background to your request please? What have you already done to try to find the answer?
    As you probably know, this code does not appear in the ORB for August 1942.

Thanks

Hi Andy
    I am researching the history of RAF North Coates, 608 were detached there during August/ September/October 1942 with various departures up to mid November. The North Coates ORB gives the codes of all the aircraft including 'J' but as you say its not in the 608 ORB. In fact 'J' is not showing as arriving with the other arrivals between September 15th to the 18th but showing as departing to Exeter on November 2nd . There are quiet a few anomalies in the North Coates ORB that originally states that 19 Hudson's arrived and showing 23 departing so it must be assumed the other four were never recorded.
    On the other hand the 608 ORB states the whole squadron departed to North Coates. Through trawling through various months pf the 608 ORB I cannot find 'J' listed in any of the Ops but in the November 42 ORB it is showing but with no actual serial. Obviously the North Coates ORB seems to be inaccurate in as much that not all the movements have been recorded which is evident through the whole of the ORB. Very much a case of the more info you find the more info you need to find, this is a classic case

Thanks

I wish you luck in this search, which will prove difficult I think.
    One possibility is that it was delivered to the squadron after its move to North Coates. There would be no reason for such a delivery to appear in the ORB of course.

Thanks

That is a possibility, there were a number of ATA Anson flights into North Coates during that period, usually picking up or delivering ferry pilots. The ATA pilot log books available on line dont give anything that corresponds with a Hudson ferry flight though.
    I think this one will be consigned to the 'pending' file
    Thanks for your interest all the same

Thanks

Thought I had some log book extracts from 608 Sqdn, but on checking found it is way past your area of interest, in fact was on attachment to 608 from 500 Squadron between 1/12/43 to 8/1/44, then located at Grottaglie, Italy. The pilot concerned (NZ414675, V C Pockson) did fly a Hudson coded "J" during this period, but it seems to have been an aircraft actually belonging to 500 Sqdn (FK802) which he flew on an operation (his 62nd in fact), on 3/1/44, noted as on a U-boat hunt, "on co-op with Navy", but even if this was a 608 Sqn aircraft, I doubt that it would have been with that squadron as early as August/Sept 1942. Pockson and his crew were flying same aircraft with 500 Sqdn from 6/11/43 to 13/1/44, mostly from Bone. The Hudsons by this time were armed with RPs, in fact Pockson's crew flew their first practice RP strikes as early as 28/6/43.

Thanks

David,
    As you suggested, FK802 cannot have been the aircraft involved, as it was delivered until the May/Jul 1943 time period.
    Andy