Thread: 969490 Thomas Arthur Edward TOBIAS AFM

Thanks

Default 969490 Thomas Arthur Edward TOBIAS AFM

Good afternoon all,

A little outside of my normal area of research, but I am currently researching the RAF casualties buried in my local cemetery, St. Woolos in Newport, Gwent. The above-named was awarded the AFM at some point during his career, but as always with the AFM / AFC, trying to find the details of "when and why" are proving difficult.

He had paid for his own pilot training pre-war, gaining his "wings" in 1939 at Cardiff Aero Club. I'm not sure when he joined the RAF, but he was seriously injured on August 31st 1942 when he was piloting a Horsa glider, as detailed in this thread: -

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...109#post109109

His AFM was Gazetted the following day, the 1st of September 1942.

Does anyone have any information regarding the award of his AFM, or suggest somewhere I can start looking?

Many thanks and best wishes,

Greg

Thanks

Default Re: 969490 Thomas Arthur Edward TOBIAS AFM

Greg

It was reported in a couple of newspapers at the time. This is from the Gloucestershire Echo of September 1st 1942:

West Flying Instructors Get Awards
    Over one in three of the men mentioned in the latest list of awards for outstanding ability and devotion as flying instructors has associations with the West or South-west. Of the 32 decorations approved by the King, 13 go to men who were born of educated or whose homes are in this part of the country.
    Among them [is]...Flight-Sergeant Thomas Arthur Edward Tobias, whose home is at Gloucester [who] receives the A.F.M. He is a native of Newport, and before he joined the R.A.F. in 1939 for training as a pilot, he was a steel polisher.

And from the Western Mail, September 8th 1942:

Awarded A.F.M. - Flight-sergt Thomas Arthur Edward Tobias, who has been awarded the Air Force Medal, is the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Tobias, Walsall-street, Newport. He is seriously ill in hospital.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 26th September 2022 at 12:32. Reason: typo
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Default Re: 969490 Thomas Arthur Edward TOBIAS AFM

Simon,

That’s fantastic, many thanks indeed for your quick reply. That’s one more piece of the jigsaw in place!! Now to try and find out if he was an Instructor at 10 OTU, which I suspect he was, and the award of his AFM would seem to support.

Very best wishes,

Greg