Thread: Wingco Warner 78 sqn 43

Thanks

Default Wingco Warner 78 sqn 43

Could anybody supply any biographical info on Wingco Gerald Warner C/O 78 sqn in 1943? I am particularly interested if anyone has his AFC citation.

I believe he retired in New Zealand in the 1960s.

Thanks Peter

Thanks

Peter,

From Gp Capt C M Hanson's 'By Such Deeds - Honours and Awards in the Royal New Zealand Air Force, 1923-1999':

WARNER, Group Captain Gerald Bernard, CBE, DFC, AFC. 134328; Born South Sylhet, Assam, India, 16 Nov 1917; RAF 8 Mar 1937 to 16 Nov 1965, 39700; RNZAF/Res. 9 May 1966 to 9 May 1968; Pilot.
    Citation Distinguished Flying Cross (Imm) (17 May 1940): [37 Sqn RAF (Wellington)] As captain and pilot of his aircraft this officer displayed exceptional skill and courage when attacked by a superior number of enemy aircraft. He successfully manoeuvred his aircraft, to afford the most effective use of the guns, and thus enabled his gunners to beat off the attack and destroy one Messerschmitt 109. Another Messerschmitt 110 was severely damaged. Flying Officer Warner has at all times shown exceptional skill and coolness in face of the enemy. The above action took place during an attack on Stavanger, Norway, on 30 Apr 1940.
    Citation Air Force Cross (NY1943): Not available. For service with the RAF.
    Citation Commander of the most Excellent Order of the British Empire (QB1962): Not available. For service with the RAF.
    In 1962-1965 Gp Capt Warner served as ALO and Air Adviser to the British High Commissioner, Wellington. Died Howick, Auckland, 31 Oct 1996.

Errol

Thanks

Default Warner's AFC

WARNER, Gerald Bernard, S/L, DFC (39700, Royal Air Force) - No.23 Operational Training Unit - Air Force Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 1 January 1943. Citation in Public Record Office Air 2/8871 (courtesy of Steve Brew).

"Squadron Leader Warner has been Flight Commander and assistant chief flying instructor with No.23 Operational Training Unit since its formation until August 1942. Throughout this period his work has been of the very highest order. During the last six months he completed 138 hours flying. By his enthusiasm, drive, energy and devotion to duty, this officer sets an excellent example to instructors and pupils alike."

Thanks

Default Warner cont.

Thanks very much chaps this has been very helpful for a relative of Warner.

Peter

Thanks

Default Possible ID of Warner in crew photo Feltwell + contacting families of crew

17th April 1940 - RAF Feltwell
    Wellington N3019 heads for Norway
    Crew: Pilot F/O Warner; Navigator F/O Lindsay; Air Observer Sgt. Snowden;
    W/T Op. LAC Whittaker; Air Gunner P/O Webb; Air Gunner AC Waterfall

In April 1940 my uncle, AC Waterfall, flew four missions to Norway in Wellington Bombers piloted by F/O G.B. Warner. Following a successful raid on German military installations in Stavanger on the 30th, both men were decorated. Warner received the DFC and Waterfall the DFM with swift promotion to sergeant.

Sgt J.H. Waterfall DFM was killed in action, along with F/O D.W. Lindsay; P/O R.A.A Ball; Sgt A. Aitken and Sgt A. Glen, in Wellington R3236 during the early hours of 7th July 1940, following an aborted attack on Bremen. Today the crash-site is visible in Jagen 39, Upjever Forest, just a short distance south on Jever airbase. The deciduous woodland destroyed by the crash fire was later replanted with conifers and stands there as a living memorial to the tragedy that happened there.

72 years on, my generation of the Waterfall family are very proud of the uncle we never knew. To commemorate and reconcile his loss, plans are currently being made to hold a service in Jever Church in July 2015, in honour of the crew of Wellington R3236, who were first buried there with full military honours, before being moved to Sage War Cemetery, Oldenburg, in 1947.

If you have connections with my uncle’s active service in 1940, I would be very pleased to hear from you. Perhaps you might like to consider joining me and my family at Jever in 2015.

Yours sincerely

Jack Waterfall, 1 Castelhythe, ELY, Cambs CB7 4BU

jack.waterfall@ntlworld.com

2nd February 2012

Thanks

Hello Peter,

I have just come across this thread started in 2008. Last year, while researching the service of another bomber pilot with the same surname , I came across a couple of photographs of Wing Commander Gerald Bernard WARNER, DFC (39700) while OC 78 (Halifax) Sqn taken during the visit of a Russian delegation to RAF Linton-on-Ouse in the Summer of 1943. Please could you contact me off board so that I can send you copies should you be interested.

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 6th February 2012 at 19:43. Reason: adding more info

Thanks

Hello, Norman
    My grandfather was one of the Russian pilots who came to Linton-on-Ouse in summer 1943 and met W/C G.B.Warner. I would be very interested to see the photographs related to that visit, should you have any.

Anna