Thread: 157 and 85 Sqdn. Combat Reports

Thanks

Default 157 and 85 Sqdn. Combat Reports

Hi All,

I am researching two 'intruder personal combat reports' and was interested in any information on the kills.

First is a combat report filed by S/Ldr. R. Doleman and F/Lt. D. Bunch DFC of 157 Sqdn. for the night of 6th/7th December 1944. Flying a Mosquito XIX they shot down a Me. 110 in the Kitzingen area......does anyone have any details on the Me110?

Second is a combat report filed by F/Lt. P. S. Kendall DFC and F/Lt. C. R. Hill DFC of 85 Sqdn. for the night of 12th/13th September 1944. Again flying a Mosquito XIX they reported shooting down a Me 109G in the vicinity of Limburg........does anyone have any details on the 109G?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Russ

Thanks

Hi Russ:

The comments I have for the December claim are:
    "Possibly Bf 110 G-4 Werknr.: 440051 2Z+LW of 11./NJG 6, which a Luftwaffe source indicates was lost after an aerial combat on 5/6 December (note date) at Koppenwind, 16km east of Gerolshofen (very close to Kitzingen). This source lists the crew as: Uffz. Heinz Gasch, killed, Uffz. G·ther Mileraki, killed, and Gefr. Karl Rethaber wounded, bailed out. However, a question remains, since the night of 5/6 December, when Soest, Duisburg, Nuernberg and Mannheim were raided, adverse weather conditions over enemy night-fighter fields resulted in "probably no fighter reaction." "

I don't have details on the 85 Sqn claim, though I thought it was 11/12 September.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks

Default 157 and 85 Sqdn. Combat Reports

Hi Mark,

Sorry it has taken so long to get back and thank you for the information.

The combat report of S/Ldr Doleman states definately the 6/7th December 1944 and not the 5/6th. This may mean that it was not the same combat unless the German sources are incorrect. However, the combat which resulted in the kill was at 20.40 hrs. on the 6th so??

Many thanks again Mark,

Russ

Thanks

Hi Russ:

No worries. You might also have a go at the Forum (bottom link on left-hand side) over here:

http://www.luftarchiv.de/

You'll have to register, however the folks over there have access to Michael Balss' excellent (and rare-as-hens-teeth) books on Luftwaffe night-fighter losses.

In fact, I'm headed over there now, let me see if I can turn anything up.

Happy Xmas,

Mark