Thread: Full List of Flying Training Schools in Canada

Thanks

Default Full List of Flying Training Schools in Canada

I thought the following link would be of interest to many, as it shows a full list of BCATP flying training schools in Canada, and includes locations, dates and equipment: http://www.bombercrew.com/BCATP.htm

Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

There is a simmilar list on Wikipedia with breif details of many of the training establishments.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_Commonwealth_Air_Training_Plan_fac ilities_in_Canada

Regards
    Andy

Thanks

In fact, neither site shows anything like a complete list of Canadian EATS/BCATP training units. The Wikipedia (Wickedpedia?!) site also has errors, but then that's not surprising given the 'pedia's notorious lack of readily accessible author/source info.

For a comprehensive list see Appendix C (p207-212) of F J Hatch's 'Aerodrome of Democracy'.

Errol

Thanks

Default More BCATP Schools

The list at www.bombercrew seems the most complete, although it only mentions the principal aircraft types, and omits many of the minor types (for example, No. 31 SFTS had an RDF training flight with Ansons, replaced the Battles with Lysanders by 1943, and also had one Walrus and one Tigerschmidt on strength for a long time). It also misses the OTUs, that were under the operational commands for admin, but under the JATP/BCATP for training standards. The RN schools,and a number of trades schools, are also missing.

Here is a list of what I think is missing, I would love to hear from anyone who could add to it.

No. 1 OTU Bagotville, Que. Harvard, Lysander, Hurricane, Bolingbroke

No. 3 OTU Patricia Bay, B.C. Stranraer, Canso, Lysander

No. 5 OTU Boundary Bay and Abbotsford, BC Liberator, Bolingbroke, Mitchell, Kittyhawk

No. 31 (later No. 7) OTU Debert, N.S. Hudson, Bolingbroke

No. 32 (later No. 6 OTU) Patricia Bay, Comox, B.C., Greenwood, NS Anson, Beaufort, Hampden, Oxford, Lysander, Dakota, Expeditor

No. 34 OTU Pennfield Ridge, N.B. Bolingbroke, Anson, Hudson, Ventura

No. 36 (later No. 8) OTU Greenwood, N.S. Bolingbroke, Harvard, Hudson, Mosquito, Oxford

No. 1 General Reconnaisance School Summerside, P.E.I. Anson

No. 31 GRS Charlottetown, P.E.I. Anson

No 1 Naval Air Gunners Schools (NAGS) Yarmouth, N.S. Swordfish, Seamew, Anson, Lysander, Walrus, Hurricane

No. 1 Flying Instructors School Trenton, Ont. Fawn, Finch, Tiger Moth, Harvard, Cornell, Crane, Anson, etc.

No. 2 FIS Vulcan, then Pearce, Alta. Crane, Anson, Cornell, Fawn, Finch, Harvard, Oxford, Tiger Moth

No. 3 FIS Arnprior, Ont. Anson, Cornell, Finch, Crane, Fawn, Harvard, Stearman, Tiger Moth

Central Flying School, Trenton Anson, Battle, Bolingbroke, Fawn, Cornell, Crane, Finch, Harvard, Hudson, Hurricane, Oxford, Ventura, Lockheed 10

Instrument Flying School Deseronto, Ont. Oxford, Cornell

And finally the trades schools that probably never operated aircraft:

No. 1 RDF School, Leaside, Ont.
    No. 31 (later No. 5) RDF School, Clinton, Ont.
    (The existance of the RDF schools was a secret during the war, and the details of their activities were largely secret until about 10 years ago.)
    Air Armament School, MountainView, Ont.
    AID Inspector School, Malton, Ont.
    No. 1 Composite Training School, Trenton, Ont.
    No. 2 Composite Training School, Toronto, Ont.
    (These schools seemed to be special training schools for problem students or students who got thrown out of the regular process for health or other reasons, and used Harvards, Ansons, and maybe other types)
    School of Aeronautical Engineering, Montreal, Que.
    School of Aviation Medicine, Toronto, Ont.
    School of Cookery, Guelph, Ont.

In addition, several operation units were hosts to training flights, including several fighter squadrons that had Army Co-operation flights and RDF training flights. There may have been a glider school, and there was a paratroop training school at Rivers supported by Lodestars, Norsemen, and Dakotas of No. 164 (T) Squadron, but I'm not sure of the relationship of all these to the BCATP.
    Last edited by Bill Walker; 10th December 2007 at 19:57. Reason: added note about Composite Schools

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Walker View Post
    The list at www.bombercrew seems the most complete, although it only mentions the principal aircraft types, and omits many of the minor types (for example, No. 31 SFTS had an RDF training flight with Ansons, replaced the Battles with Lysanders by 1943, and also had one Walrus and one Tigerschmidt on strength for a long time). It also misses the OTUs, that were under the operational commands for admin, but under the JATP/BCATP for training standards. The RN schools,and a number of trades schools, are also missing.

Here is a list of what I think is missing, I would love to hear from anyone who could add to it.

No. 1 OTU Bagotville, Que. Harvard, Lysander, Hurricane, Bolingbroke

No. 3 OTU Patricia Bay, B.C. Stranraer, Canso, Lysander

No. 5 OTU Boundary Bay and Abbotsford, BC Liberator, Bolingbroke, Mitchell, Kittyhawk

No. 31 (later No. 7) OTU Debert, N.S. Hudson, Bolingbroke

No. 32 (later No. 6 OTU) Patricia Bay, Comox, B.C., Greenwood, NS Anson, Beaufort, Hampden, Oxford, Lysander, Dakota, Expeditor

No. 34 OTU Pennfield Ridge, N.B. Bolingbroke, Anson, Hudson, Ventura

No. 36 (later No. 8) OTU Greenwood, N.S. Bolingbroke, Harvard, Hudson, Mosquito, Oxford

No. 1 General Reconnaisance School Summerside, P.E.I. Anson

No. 31 GRS Charlottetown, P.E.I. Anson

No 1 Naval Air Gunners Schools (NAGS) Yarmouth, N.S. Swordfish, Seamew, Anson, Lysander, Walrus, Hurricane

No. 1 Flying Instructors School Trenton, Ont. Fawn, Finch, Tiger Moth, Harvard, Cornell, Crane, Anson, etc.

No. 2 FIS Vulcan, then Pearce, Alta. Crane, Anson, Cornell, Fawn, Finch, Harvard, Oxford, Tiger Moth

No. 3 FIS Arnprior, Ont. Anson, Cornell, Finch, Crane, Fawn, Harvard, Stearman, Tiger Moth

Central Flying School, Trenton Anson, Battle, Bolingbroke, Fawn, Cornell, Crane, Finch, Harvard, Hudson, Hurricane, Oxford, Ventura, Lockheed 10

Instrument Flying School Deseronto, Ont. Oxford, Cornell

And finally the trades schools that probably never operated aircraft:

No. 1 RDF School, Leaside, Ont.
    No. 31 (later No. 5) RDF School, Clinton, Ont.
    (The existance of the RDF schools was a secret during the war, and the details of their activities were largely secret until about 10 years ago.)
    Air Armament School, MountainView, Ont.
    AID Inspector School, Malton, Ont.
    No. 1 Composite Training School, Trenton, Ont.
    No. 2 Composite Training School, Toronto, Ont.
    (These schools seemed to be special training schools for problem students or students who got thrown out of the regular process for health or other reasons, and used Harvards, Ansons, and maybe other types)
    School of Aeronautical Engineering, Montreal, Que.
    School of Aviation Medicine, Toronto, Ont.
    School of Cookery, Guelph, Ont.

In addition, several operation units were hosts to training flights, including several fighter squadrons that had Army Co-operation flights and RDF training flights. There may have been a glider school, and there was a paratroop training school at Rivers supported by Lodestars, Norsemen, and Dakotas of No. 164 (T) Squadron, but I'm not sure of the relationship of all these to the BCATP.
    Bill,

Thanks for the additions (bombercrew.com is my site). I deliberately left out the OTUs as I wasn't certain if they were part of the plan or not and never updated the list. I will add them and the expanded aircraft inventories.

Many thanks !
    matt

Thanks

[QUOTE=Steve Brew;1469]I thought the following link would be of interest to many, as it shows a full list of BCATP flying training schools in Canada, and includes locations, dates and equipment: http://www.bombercrew.com/BCATP.htm

Perhaps I was a tad hasty in saying "full list", but I hope the resource is at least of some assistance to others, as is has been to me.

Thanks also for the subsequent posts with additional information.

Steve

Thanks

[QUOTE=Steve Brew;2405]
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Brew View Post
    I thought the following link would be of interest to many, as it shows a full list of BCATP flying training schools in Canada, and includes locations, dates and equipment: http://www.bombercrew.com/BCATP.htm

Perhaps I was a tad hasty in saying "full list", but I hope the resource is at least of some assistance to others, as is has been to me.

Thanks also for the subsequent posts with additional information.

Steve
    Hi Steve,

I have updated the list to include what was suggested as well as some other items, I still have some things to vet out but I hope you will continue to find it useful.

http://www.bombercrew.com/BCATP.htm

Cheers!
    Matt

Thanks

Thanks Matt
    Steve