Thread: Whereabouts of WAAF Section Officer (Intelligence) Paula Fisher - 467 Squadron

Thanks

Default Whereabouts of WAAF Section Officer (Intelligence) Paula Fisher - 467 Squadron

Good evening to all members.

I have been away from this Board for a long time.

Since the publication of the Tribute in 3 volumes to the late Wing Commander Cosme Lockwood Gomm, DSO, DFC (RAFO 34123), we have been unable to determine what happened or the whereabouts of his wartime girl-friend, who was Section Officer (Intelligence) Paula Fisher, an Anglo-Irish woman who may have been, in August 1943, circa 24-27 years of age.

Her name do appear on several books of Martin Bowman (Lancaster Legends, Pathfinders, etc.) as well as on the magnificent work of Historian Vincent Holyoak, who gladly shared the images he had of both together and of her.

After the dismise of the C.O.'s crew onboard of the Lancaster Mark III, serial ED998, just after the debriefing of the crews who flew on the third consecutive night to Milan, she had a "break down" and was hastily posted out from Bottesford, "by the Powers that Be".

Her tracts just vanish from then on...I was unable to find:
    a) To where was she moved out?
    b) Her WAAF service number?
    c) Her whereabouts after the war. Did she marry? Did she had sons or grandsons? Where she passed away?

ANY clue or piece of information, related to the former Section Officer Paula Fisher (WAAF at RAF Bottesford) will be most welcomed.

Am sure that the Gomm's relatives would be very pleased, eventually, to meet Fisher's relatives on a near futur. It is most probable that she kept some war letters from her beloved and C.O. with her (who knows)?

Theirs was one amongst thousands and thousands of "Love Stories" that the war broke down and finished, abruptly. We would like to know what happened to this woman, post August 1943.

My gratitude for the kind attention to this plead and long shot

Adriano Silva Baumgartner, ASV 00.344
    Author of: Captain Gordon Fox Rule, DFC, CdG* - Brazilian's Greatest Ace of the Great War of 1914-1918;
    Gomm, DSO, DFC - A Tribute (3 volumes - 1,118 pages)

baumgartner_asv@yahoo.com.br

Thanks

Default Re: Whereabouts of WAAF Section Officer (Intelligence) Paula Fisher - 467 Squadron

Last edited by vrajm; 7th November 2022 at 19:06.

Thanks

Default Re: Whereabouts of WAAF Section Officer (Intelligence) Paula Fisher - 467 Squadron

Mojmir,

You gave me a NORTH to follow and I will try to stay on this path and see where it goes and brings me. My DEEPEST gratitude for her service number and her probable full name. Although she was recorded on some books as Paula Fisher, the reminiscences of one other Section Officer who worked with her on 467 Squadron do mentions her nickname as "Paul" Fisher.

I shall try to contact the WAAF Association to see if they do have something about (2929).

Again, my deepest gratitude for your most valuable help.

Adriano

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Adriano Baumgartner For This Useful Post:

vrajm (8th November 2022)

Thanks

A female named Pauline Fisher was born in the September Quarter of 1918 in Belfast/Northern Ireland.
    cheers PeteS

Thanks

PETE, that's she! What we knew is that she was either Irish or from Irisch parents, but you certainly found her. I found on "Find a Grave" a namesake that was buried in England, back in 2003....I feel it must be her....but there is no image of the grave and no information about her birthdate. Poor Lady, after the death of her beloved and CO, it seems she did not marry at all.

Thanks

Adriano - I don't think we can 100% make that assumption that Paula Fisher died 2003 and buried in Essex is the same person - I cannot find a Paula/Pauline Fisher dying in 2003 she may have married and had a married name ?

Though I note ancestry has

Name: Pauline Fisher
    Birth Date: 1918
    Birth Place: Ireland
    Birth Registration Date: Sep 1918
    Birth Registration Place: Belfast, Ireland
    Death Date:
    [Possibly in 2003]

Volume: 1
    Page: 198
    FHL Film Number: 101077