Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beechcraft Twin, Coniston, 14 Oct 1942

Thanks

Default Beechcraft Twin, Coniston, 14 Oct 1942

Does anyone have an identity for this aircraft?

I have found it in both the Millom and Ayr ORBs but they just give the crews names and the aircraft type (Millom suggests Lockheed aircraft, Ayr a Beechcraft Twin).

The Ayr ORB states the flight was meant to be from Ayr to Hendon via Limavady with the station intelligence officer going along but he could make the flight so went with only the station operations controller and two Lockheed ferry pilots.

I don't think it was an RAF aircraft, more likely a Lockheed owned aircraft for moving their crews about (one of the two pilots had flown in the day before with a P-39), though the destination of Hendon is a bit odd if it was a Lockheed aircraft.

Below is what I got from the Ayr ORB and below that the Millom ORB.

P. Branson, Lockheed Ferry Pilot, Pilot
    Keith, Lockheed Ferry Pilot, Passenger
    Grenfell, Station Controller Ops., Passenger

P/O B. Grenfell, RAF Ayr
    O. B. Keith, Civilian Pilot (American)
    G. W. Branson, Civilian Pilot (American)
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Al,

This accident is among those listed on www.baaa-acro.com/archives/1942-Jul-Dec.htm and it says a Beech 18 of ATA.
    No further identity given, but perhaps aircraft type and/or ATA is something to work with.

Regards,

Leendert
    Brugge/Belgium

Thanks

Beech 18 would certainly tally with what was in the Ayr station ORB as that said "a/c (Beechcraft Twin)", I think the Millom ORB stating Lockheed aircraft came from the two civilians being Lockheed employees.

If it was ATA it would most likely have been a UK registered aircraft and so far I haven't come across any, though that doesn't mean it isn't out there somewhere. But if it was a Lockheed owned aircraft then it was likely to be a US civilian registration which would be fun to track down to say the least.
    Alan Clark

Thanks

Air Crashes in the Lake District identifies the a/c as a 'Lockheed AT8' but does not quote a serial. Perhaps one of the Hudson trainer derivatives AT?

regards

DaveW

Thanks

I understand an AT-8 was a Cessna Bobcat (also a twin) and not a Lockheed model.

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

Can't help with the aircraft but checking the death register index:

George B Grenfell age 36 registered in the Ulverston District Vol 8 e 890 in Q4 of 1942

Osbourne R Keith age 21 registered in Ulverston District Vol 8 e Pg 1056 in Q1 of 1943.
    George W Bransom age 44 registered in Ulverston District Vol 8 e Pg 1056 in Q1 of 1943

Note spelling of Bransom from the register.

The US 1930 census does show an Osbourne R Keith living in Long Beach, CA in 1930, having been born around 1921.

There are a number of family trees on Ancestry.com that contain George Werner Bransom died 14 Oct 1942. Born 8 Dec 1897.
    One of the trees show his grave from Arlington National cemetery, with inscription:
    George Werner Bransom
    Maryland
    Gy Sgt
    US Marines Corps
    December 8 1896
    October 14 1942

The muster Rolls of the USMC on ancestry show that he was a 'Naval Aviation Pilot" in 1927, possibly with VF-8. He had been in the aviation arm since 1922.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 5th April 2009 at 21:44. Reason: Added interwar service
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks for that info Dennis,

I had checked the registers myself but drew a blank, I can now see why with Bransom and Keith, I wouldn't have thought to check the next quarter with the deaths occurring in October.

Alan
    Alan Clark

Thanks

Well done, Dennis; a few more clues to finding the identity of this elusive aeroplane! I believe it is the only remaining unidentified UK high ground wreck. I don't think the ATA ever operated the Beech 18. Whatever it was, it probably belonged to Lockheed Overseas Corp at Speke.

Thanks

Just to update, I contacted the granddaughter and step grandaughter of George Bransom last week and I've told them to post to this thread when they have ahd a chance to go through what ever files they have. His grandaughter did confirm that to her knowledge he was a Lockheed employee.

Google Book earch turns up this little snippet:
    Aeroanutical And Industry, Published 1930

Detroit Aircraft Appoints Sales Representative and NY Agent DETROIT, MICH. (Special). George W. Bransom has been appointed pilot salesman in the New York district for
    Detroit Aircraft Corp., according to James Work, vice president.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Not really an answer to this one but the ancestry.com series
    Reports of Deaths of American Citizens Abroad, 1835-1974

has the standard US consulate forms stating that they were employees of Lockheed Aircraft Corporation of Burbank, Cal.
    Gives location of death as Old Man Mountain, Coniston.
    Their remains were cremated for shipment home. An interesting series of records, if you one looking for a US civilian or in one case I seen, a US citizen member of the RCAF.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com