Thread: Spitfires -v- 106 Sqn Hampden, 6/10/1940

Thanks

Default Spitfires -v- 106 Sqn Hampden, 6/10/1940

Hi All

Have found some details about 106 Sqn Hampden L4100 (Sgt Howard) which was shot up by a pair of Spitfires and force-landed on Stradishall on 6/10/1940 with hydraulics shot away and a dead navigator, Sgt K S Powers.

It's not mentioned in Chorley. Any ideas where the Spits might have been from?

Also does anyone have the A/c Movement Card for this Hampden. I'm wondering if this is the same one which was still in a hangar there when Stradishall was attacked by a couple of German intruders on 3/11/1940? Air-Britain and Hampden Crash Log both say that the Hampden did go on to serve elsewhere after 106, although HCL says it was 'Cat E' ie destroyed/written off here ... as well as when it was finally lost with 14 OTU in 1942!

As always, thanks for any info.

Ian

Thanks

Ian,

Sgt Powers is mentioned in Chorleys Bomber Command Roll of Honour Volume 9 !

From 'The Hampden File' Harry Moyle

L4100 44/106/14 OTU 8/11/1942 Undershot landing, Saltby

Sgt East and three crew. No serious injuries.

+ L4100 6 October 1940 this 106 Squadron Hampden was on a cross country flight when two fighters, believed to be Spitfires attacked it near Stradishall just after midday. Sgt K.S Powers, who would seem to have been flying as navigator, was killed but none of the other crew members suffered injury nor was the Hampden badly damaged and it was able to land normally.

Mark

Thanks

Default Hampden L4100

Thanks Mark

I should have said that I do have BCL9 and The Hampden File and had seen those details. Sorry for not making that clearer.

What I was after was maybe the identities of the Spitfires / Sqn / pilots, but also (mainly) if anyone has any info on how quickly L4100 was repaired and left Stradishall.

The Station ORB says the hydraulics were shot up, as obviously were other parts of the plane if the Nav was killed, so that could have meant that the damage was quite serious. From an entry on the 214 Sqn website the Hampden might have belly-landed (quite possibly so, if the hydraulics were shot up).

Hence my wondering whether this might have been the Hampden still at Stradishall 4 weeks later when the base was bombed by 2 Ju 88's on 3/11/1940, when there's a reference to a Hampden being in one of the hangars that was damaged. The a/c itself wasn't further damaged then, but the records say that a civilian worker working on it was badly injured. Was that L4100, I wonder?

Sorry if I mislead you.

Ian

Thanks

Default Hampden L4100

Hi Ian

I think that you will find that the Hampden was attacked by two Hurricanes from 17 Squadron flown by Plt Off Jack Ross (P3894) and Sgt George Steward (P3027).

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Default Hampden L4100

Thanks for that Brian. Can I ask where you got that from? I think that the reports at the time (as per the reference above to The Hampden File) definitely said ('believed to be') 'Spitfires' ... although elsewhere it does only say "British fighters"!

Anyone any ideas on point 2; how long the Hampden may have been at Stradishall for, being repaired?

Ian
    Last edited by ianh; 10th October 2008 at 18:22.

Thanks

Cannot add much to what you already know on this one:

T/o 1145 hours, duty cross-country flight.
    Attacked at 1250 hours at a position 6 miles NW of RAF Stradishall "by two a/c believed to be Spitfires."
    Fired wrong recognition signal. No fire.
    The late Harry Moyle told me the other crew were Sgt T W Oakes (lower AG, wounded) and Sgt Thompson (WOp/AG).

Bill Chorley kindly provided me with the F.78 details on L4100, which was ToC by 106 Sqn on 5 June 1940. The document also has "26.11.40 SaS Tollerton".

Hope this helps,

BC

Thanks

Hello,

I have heard of this story by some veterans of 106 Squadron when I was at their reunion in 1995 .
    They told that the Commanding Officer of 106 was very upset of what hapenned, and went to the fighter squadron with several large pictures of Hampdens , and gave them a "roasting" .
    The Navigator killed Kenneth Sydney Powers is buried at Stradishall St Margret Churchyard
    Suffolk.
    Perhaps there is a trace of this in the ORB of the fighter squadron ??

Hope that help , Alain.

Thanks

I forget to tell that a Sgt J. Thompson of 106 Squadron died with Sgt Joseph Donald Shilling on 7 december 1940, they both are buried in Farnborough cemetery, Hampshire .
    Could be the same Thompson of the crew above ?

All the best from the sunny Polynesia !

Alain.

Thanks

Default 106 Sqn Hampden

Back again.

Still not quite clear whether it was Spitfires of Hurricanes, but thanks BC and Alain.

Ian

Thanks

Default Hampden L4100

Hi Ian

I repeat, Hurricanes from 17 Squadron.

Brian