Thread: Flying Officer Peter James Spellman - 182 Squadron

nickager Guest

Default Flying Officer Peter James Spellman - 182 Squadron

I wonder if anyone can help me.

Iíve done a lot of research on my Uncle, Flight Engineer Peter Ager who died on 17th June 1944 (His story is at www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/15/a8510915.shtml).

A Dutch guy has kindly assisted me in my research and I have agreed to help him try and find out a little more about the above airman. He is writing a book about the Dutch resistance who helped F/O Spellman escape and believes that his Typhoon crashed at the time of Market Garden in September 1944.

I do have his service number (152252) but donít think I can get hold of his service record because I am not related? Obviously, if he is still alive, the best possible outcome would be to trace him and I have even tried Genes Reunited, but without success.

Does anyone have any information, or any good ideas on where I might start to look ? Iíd add that when researching my uncle, I found it reasonably straightforward ; partly because he was KIA, partly because I could get hold of his Service Record and also because he flew with a Canadian Halifax squadron and I was able to obtain a lot of information from the fantastic 6 Group website.

With F/O Spellman, none of those factors apply so any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

Thanks

Nick,

Fighter Command Losses Volume 3 losses 1944-1945 Norman L Franks

11/9/1944

182 Sqn Typhoon 1b MN472-Z

F/O P.J SPELLMAN Evaded

Shot down by fighter, Breda-Dordrecht area

Nick under modern disclosure rules anyone can apply for basic service information. The information you should receive is date and place of birth, date of enlistment and discharge with final rank.

Mark

nickager Guest

Default Flying Officer Peter James Spellman

Hi Mark and thanks very much for that....Nick

Thanks

Default Peter James Spellman

Hi Nick,

If it's not too late I may have some information for you. My late uncle Peter was Squadron Leader Peter James Spellman DFC who was shot down over occupied Holland in autumn 1944 and spent 56 days behind enemy lines in the hands of the Dutch resistance. I would certainly like to hear from your Dutch contact if he's writing a book about this incident.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Alan J Chappell.

Thanks

Not much need after Alans posting, but Flight archives for 9th Auguat 1945 note his award of a DFC http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1945/1945%20-%201584.html

Hope you don't mind sharing any memoirs with us!!

Thanks

Nick,

On 29 May, 1944, F/O P J Spellman damaged No.175 Sqn Typhoon JR534 HH-Y, in a landing accident at Holmsley South.

On 30 March, 1945, F/O Spellman, in No.182 Sqn Typhoon IB RB505, was hit by flak and force-landed north-west of Wettringen.

See: The Typhoon & Tempest Story/Thomas & Shores. pp.202 & 210

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 22nd April 2010 at 10:32. Reason: Correction of Typhoon serial - from RB805 to RB505.

Thanks

Default More info

Quote Originally Posted by Alan J Chappell View Post
    Hi Nick,

If it's not too late I may have some information for you. My late uncle Peter was Squadron Leader Peter James Spellman DFC who was shot down over occupied Holland in autumn 1944 and spent 56 days behind enemy lines in the hands of the Dutch resistance. I would certainly like to hear from your Dutch contact if he's writing a book about this incident.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Alan J Chappell.
    Nick/Alan

Having linked with the family of the New Zealander that I am researching I know how great it is to get extra information that you didnt have before..

Dee

Thanks

Col,
    SPELLMAN's Typhoon 30-3-1945 was RB505 (not RB805).
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Henk,

Right you are! Both refs that I used quote, RB505. Apologies. (Now corrected, with explanatory note).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 22nd April 2010 at 10:30.