Thread: Mentioned in dispatches

Don Webb Guest

Default Mentioned in dispatches

I am trying to find out any information on my late uncle Henry Cave.
    He served in WW2 in the RAFVR, his number was 1764086.
    He was mentioned in dispatches and is listed in the London Gazette on 1st January 1945.

I have no information on which squadron he served in or on which bases, any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Don, Hi
    Yr late uncle appears to have Enlisted in the number block 1700001-1800000. This block was allocated in Sep 1941, and is described in Routledge's paper as being for "Inspector of Recruiting for Local Enlistments for deferred service at Combined Recruiting Centres".
    Now just what "deferred service" entails I have no idea, but the academic year normally starts around Sep so it might be the case that he was given a year's deferrment to finish his course (apprenticeship, City & Guilds, etc, etc, etc). His name/number IS - without doubt - hidden away in the deep recesses of some archives. The trick is to get that exposed to the light of day!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Interesting little conundrum
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Don Webb Guest

Default Henry Cave

I have further information about Corporal Henry Cave, RAFVR his trade was F/Fighter.
    His postings included RAF Kirkham 101 Dispersal centre, RAF Marston Moor and RAF Brize Norton 38 group his discharge date was 03/10/1946.
    My cousin has a Christmas menu from Marston Moor when the CO was Group Captain J.Bradbury, DFC.
    Last edited by Don Webb; 4th November 2008 at 20:57.