Thread: RAF Leconfield Air28/448 & 449

Thanks

Default RAF Leconfield Air28/448 & 449

Hi,

I ordered a copy of the station records book for RAF Leconfield Air 28/448 & 449 for the period Jan 1 1943 until August 31st 1943. Strangely, the ORB stops abruptly on Jan 31st 1943, then starts again on July 1st 1943. I have been told that there is not a issue with the copying.

Can anyone explain please ?

Chaz

Thanks

Default Re: RAF Leconfield Air28/448 & 449

Hi Chaz
    Was the airfield out of use for a time (being upgraded maybe)? Or temporarily out of use by BC for some reason?

Thanks

ORBs often have unexplained gaps

Thanks

I would rather say it could be explained by relevant parts going missing for some reason.
    https://www.facebook.com/Franciszek-Grabowski-241360809684411/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Smith View Post
    Hi,

I ordered a copy of the station records book for RAF Leconfield Air 28/448 & 449 for the period Jan 1 1943 until August 31st 1943. Strangely, the ORB stops abruptly on Jan 31st 1943, then starts again on July 1st 1943.

Chaz
    Leconfield from about mid December 1942, one RAF Squadron and one Australian. They were 196 and 466.

1. Ask the RAAF records / Australian Archives, Australia, if they hold this RAF Station ORB for the missing months.

Generally, two ORBs were written up, one ORB marked O or Original and the other stamped Duplicate and the same procedure might have applied to RAF Station ORBs?

The RAF Museum acquired the others (I think from AHB) and these ORBs went into RAF Museum storage off site.

2. You could also ask the RAF Museum if they hold or store any Station ORB?

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 6th December 2022 at 23:47.

Thanks

It is not the Leconfield Station ORB, but this Unit was at Leconfield sometime during 1941 Feb-1943 Aug

2 Blind Approach Training Flight, later 1502 Beam Approach Training Flight; based at Linton-on-Ouse, Driffield and Leconfield. Includes form 765A Operational and Statistical Summary (BAT UK).

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C7161932

Rather interesting the description mentions Driffield, as I saw a reference to Driffield when looking up Leconfield.

When at the Yorkshire Air Museum there was a Blind Approach Map somewhere on a wall showing some Yorkshire Airfields linked up, but would have thought the Station HQ still maintained an ORB, besides Squadrons and Units operating there.

Got the same though with another RAF Station, no RAF Station ORB for the month wanted, only Units and Squadrons based there. Therefore Bomber aircraft intending to land there or diverted to that Station on return are not mentioned, despite other records (including Group etc., and accident records) indicating some blunders and aircraft intending to land there missing the Station and force landing near the Station or elsewhere in Southern England.

Group and Command ORBs and Appendices might be worth a hunt through?

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 7th December 2022 at 08:49.

Thanks

I once found ORB pages folded up into quarters and placed on tags in other AIR files, relating to a Signals Branch.

Also found an RAF Station ORB pages bound with and listed as Daily Routine Orders.

Mark

Thanks

Do you report these anomalies?

I reported a whole packet of photos that had been put in a folder so that the only way you could view them was by unpicking the whole file - a big no no in TNA! Also reported another batch of photos that had stuck together due to lack of removal of traces if previous sticky tape. Not sure if any thing was done but in the latter case I never was able to view the photos - that day was particularly unfruitful!

I did often find an airfield plan in unrelated files but the airfield was referred to in some small way. Makes you wonder what other hidden gems there are hidden in unrelated files?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PNK View Post
    Do you report these anomalies?

I reported a whole packet of photos that had been put in a folder so that the only way you could view them was by unpicking the whole file - a big no no in TNA! Also reported another batch of photos that had stuck together due to lack of removal of traces if previous sticky tape. Not sure if any thing was done but in the latter case I never was able to view the photos - that day was particularly unfruitful!

I did often find an airfield plan in unrelated files but the airfield was referred to in some small way. Makes you wonder what other hidden gems there are hidden in unrelated files?

Iíve flagged all sorts. Nothing seems to get changed