Thread: R.A.F. crash, 30th November 1944

Thanks

Default R.A.F. crash, 30th November 1944

hello,

The second case I've not solved is about an 'English' fighter, which crashed at 2:55 PM at a place called "Mare des Vivets". The pilot was said to be a capitaine (that would make him a Flight Lieutenant), he was wounded. The cause of the crash was fuel starvation.

Again, TIA

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss,
    Don't know if this fits but from FCL vol 3.
    443 Sqn RCAF F/O. A. M. Thomas in Spitfire IX MK611 reported as SAfe following a PM Patrol "Weert" Baled out due to a Glycol leak North-Easdt of Bourg Leopold (now Leopoldsburg, Belgium.
    Alex

Thanks

hello Alex,

Thanks for that, but I'd considered this possibility as well, but it didn't seem to match. I'll check the accident card for that Spitfire during my next visit to Hendon, in order to be sure. The answer might actually be in the accident cards for that date, but without a type of aircraft, I might spend quite a lot of time on it.

Cheers

Joss

Thanks

Joss,

Have you been able to identify Mare des Vivets or a location something similar on a map?

Perhaps the name of a larger town nearby may help us in this search...

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

hello Leendeert,

No I haven't. I tried but I'm directed to Harry Potter related sites, or about witchcraft !

Actually the friend who took these hand-written notes sometimes recorded some of the details quite badly. He didn't quote the files he checked, so I can't ask them to read the documents myself. I've checked about 90% of the files in the 'archives départementales' in Lille with informations about air activities (bombings, straffings, crashes, Flak shells coming down, etc...) but there are still a few boxes which may contains some papers. As you know, this is time consuming.

Joss