Thread: Royal Mail postage stamps-RAF Uniforms

Thanks

Default Royal Mail postage stamps-RAF Uniforms

In a recent issue of British Royal Mail commemorative postage stamps called "RAF Uniforms" there is a value depicting a "Bomber Command Lancaster Air Gunner" It appears to be a one piece yellow coloured cover-all. I have hitherto understood that the air gunners wore a two piece Irvin leather uniform over normal battle dress. Please can someone explain what the yellow uniform is. I know there was a "Sidcot" uniform in use before the war but have not come across a yellow one piece uniform in later years. It looks to me more suitable for Coastal Command. Thank you.

Thanks

Hi,
    The RAF 1939-45 by Osprey shows on color plate G Air Guneer in whole yellow dress with date 1944 with description it is Taylor Buoyancy Suit.
    I can also confirm that I have several BW photos with such a dress which looks light so it may be yellow.

BTW the issue of stamps is beautiful piece:-)

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thank you Pavel, I have not heard of this suit before.

Thanks

Hi
    From Norman Frank's book "Claims to fame-Lancaster," which chronicles several Lancs that completed 100 ops or more there are several crew illustrations that show all 3 modes of dress on crews, mostly mixed. I think the full suit was worn by the tail gunner to combat the fact that his turret often had areas of perspex removed to improve vision and was open to the elements. Most of the photos show a predominance of Battle dress on most of the crew with some use of Irving Jackets. The heavies had heaters in the fuselage to provide warm air,risky things as I believe they burned Aviaton fuel but helped to warm the interior of the a/c
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

While looking for picture of this suit I found a page of official RAF website about these stamps - so just for interest there is a link:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive.cfm?storyid=70B95E9A-1143-EC82-2E928FBAFC43824E

81p - Lancaster Air Gunner 1944
    The electrically-heated Taylor Buoyancy Suit was special provided for Air Gunners isolated in their gun turrets in the rear of the fuselage of bomber aircraft.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz