Thread: F/Sgt Allan S Porter. RCAF R79731

Thanks

Default F/Sgt Allan S Porter. RCAF R79731

Hello Gentlemen
    Could you please help me with this pilot of 412 sqn while they were at Wellingore in 1941/2.
    Allan came from Regina and on 10-4-42 crash land Spitfire Vb, BL659 in high winds at 1155 hrs at Wansford (?), tipped on nose Cat A. pilot OK.
    On 15-4-42 in Spitfire Vb, BL300 VZ-W landing at Wellingore out of fuel at 1615 hrs. The a/c hit a gun emplacement and he suffered severe facial injuries.
    'Smith Brothers' says that he was repatriated to Canada and eventually returned to instructing, albeit at low-level only.
    I have found he was with 616 sqn before his posting with 412 sqn.
    Any postings where he did his initial training in Canada and what units he serve with after his accident and was he commissioned with service number please.
    I have admired this forum for a long time.
    Roy

Thanks

Roy, Hi,
    Now I'm no Spitfire expert but my list of Spitfire airframes says BL659 went into the North Sea off Wick in March 1943?
    Wansford is a village to the W of Peterborough where the A47 crossed the A1 (now A1(M)). It's about 30 nm from Wellingore.
    No doubt the Spitfire experts will help you clear up the uncertainties.
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Default F/Sgt Allan S Porter

Hi Peter
    Thanks for your reply, I ommitted to say that Spitfire BL659 was Cat A only so was later repairable. What is puzzling is it says landing at Wansford at 1055 hrs in high wind, a/c caught by wind off runway onto soft ground, tipped on nose.
    The nearest airfield would be Wittering or King's Cliffe.
    With thanks,
    Roy