Thread: Tracing RAF Regiment records

Thanks

Default Tracing RAF Regiment records

greetings,

not sure if the regiment falls under the field of interest of this forum.

My grandfather died in 1984, and he served in the RAF Regiment during WW2 - LAC George Henry Ives 1470658. I have just obtained his service records which list different units he was attached to including 2802 Squadron, 1 Air Armament School, and 80(Signal) Wing, 9 ACHU Gamston and 100 PDC.

Are there any other useful sources I should follow up. 80 (Signal) Wing looks very interesting as they were involved in the early days of ECM warfare.
    Last edited by jives11; 13th October 2008 at 21:42.

Thanks

A brief history of 2802 Sqn is on my website - www.rafweb.org and there is a history of No 80 (Signals) Wing published clled something like 'The Beam Benders'

Malcolm Barrass

Thanks

Hi Jives11,

depending on where in the country you are, you might like to look through the unit war diaries (held at Kew) to learn where they were and what they were up to. Check out the link the National Archives link for 2802 Squadron's ORB:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?SearchInit=0&txtsearchterm=2802& txtfirstdate=&txtlastdate=&txtrestriction=air&hdns orttype=Reference&image1.x=0&image1.y=0

Try searching for the other units as well, they should be there.

Cheers, Tom