Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 410622 - Unaccounted airwoman and airmen - 22-6-1941

Thanks

LAC James W. ASHLEY - 985408; DOAS
    **Sgt Arthur W.E. BOULDEN - MiD - 542316; KOAS, he is on a family tree on Acestry.com but no location of Death is given.
    Acw1 Elizabeth BROWN - 884169; DOAS
    Cpl Harold E. BURTON - 815216; KOAS
    Cpl Ernest L. CREWE - 516237; DOAS
    F/Lt Gilbert L. HOLLOWAY - 81092; DOAS listing, rank printed was F/O
    LAC Frederick LEWIS - 528274; Cannot identify him in Fllight archives.
    LAC Stanley T. LIVINGSTONE - 969156, DOAS

Sgt (Obs) John WILSON - 967892. I imagine his name is the Sgt J Wilson listed KOAS in the magazine dated July 24th 1941, the other two men seem to be listed as Sgt W R Everett and P/O J C Yates, both the latter were Missing, believed killed on Active Service in the same magazine.

The entry on Scotlandspeople seems to be for a Roy Everett in Ardrossan, Ayrshire. A john George Yates is on the register there also, I cannot check the actual results as I've not credits there at present. No Thomas Everett's come up on Scot's people.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Gents

I have found the register page that includes Yates & Everett

Pilot Officer John George Yates aged 21

Sergeant Roy Everett aged 20

Place of death Reservoir, Busbie Muir, Ardrossan 10.50am 21st June 1941

deaths registered on 23rd June

Sergeant John Wilson aged 26, killed in the same incident, was not registered until June 24th which explains why I did not find the three deaths listed consecutively when I first searched.

regards

DaveW
    Last edited by davew; 15th November 2009 at 16:52. Reason: Corrected the time and added reservoir.

Thanks

DaveW,
    Thanks. I've as location for YATES, EVERETT and WILSON: Busbie Muir Reservoir near West Kilbride, Ayr; could this be the same ? For the time I've: 10.35h rather than 11.50h. They were on Beaufort X8938.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Henk

I have corrected the time to read 10.50 (always difficult to read these copies of copies) and added 'reservoir' in my last post. The crash location is equidistant between West Kilbride and Ardrossan.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Just happened across this site which palces the detahs of Cpl. Burton and Sgt. Boulden at Aldergrove in Northern Ireland.

http://www.rafbdhistory.co.uk/new_page_5.htm

Scroll down to "Camoflet". Killed investigating a bomb.

Sgt Arthur W.E. BOULDEN - MiD - 542316
    Cpl Harold E. BURTON - 815216
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hello

Cpl Ernest L. CREWE - 516237 - the National Probate Calendar records that he died at Townhill Road, West Beldon, Jarrow, Co. Durham. I assume that's supposed to be Downhill Lane, West Boldon, which was on the northern side of R.A.F Usworth. He's listed as being with 55 O.T.U. on the Graves Registration Report Form.

LAC Stanley T. LIVINGSTONE - 969156 - the Banbury Advertiser of June 25th 1941 reported the following:

DEATH OF R.A.F. MAN IN CLIFTON MILL POOL
    Evidence that a young aircraftman seemed to "slide" down into the water was given at the inquest on Monday on the airmanm whose body was recovered from a spot in Clifton Mill Pool known as "Deep Hole" on Sunday evening.
    He was Leading Aircraftman Stanley Taylor Livingstone, aged twenty-one, of the R.A.F., who was stated to be a native of Dundee.
    Corporal Bernard W. Blunden...said he, Livingstone, and several others went bathing in the pool at Clifton Mill, Doddington, about 5 p.m. Witness said that after splashing about Livingstone swam out to the centre of the pool and back again. He swam out again and turned to face the bank, treading water. Witness said he saw Livingstone duck his head in the water and witness asked him if he was O.K. ans Livingstone relied "Yes." A little later Livingstone appeared to slide down into the water and bubbles appeared. He had been in the water about two minutes.
    Blunden said he and the other bathers dived for twenty minutes without success.
    P.S. Petrie, of Doddington, said with assistance he recovered Livingstone's body from the water about 8 p.m.
    Flying Officer James Walter Harper, a medical officer in the R.A.F....stated "there was no water in the lungs and there were no usual signs of death from drowning."
    Te Coroner adjourned the inquest until Tuesday night to hear further medical evidence...a further post-mortem examination had revealed that death was due to asphyxia following an attack of syncope. The Coroner recorded a verdict of "death from natural causes."

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hello,

884169 ACW1 Elizabeth BROWN WAAF (Service number should read 884159).

BROWN, Aircraftwoman 1st Class Elizabeth, Women's Auxiliary Air Force (884159), Records office, Gloucester, Technical Training Command, 28 June 1941, Accident on the Ground, Died in Cheltenham General Hospital of injuries sustained when diving into the shallow end of Sandford swimming pool on 22 June 1941, Age 23, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Newcastle-upon-Tyne (West Road) Cemetery,

See: Failed To Return, Part 2, A-B/N&MP/2019/p.991.

Col.

Thanks

Hello,

A bit more on the deaths of :

815216 Cpl Harold Edwin BURTON RAF and 542316 Sgt Arthur Walter Edward BOULDEN MiD RAF.

BURTON, Corporal Harold Edwin, Royal Air Force, (815216), 19 Bomb Disposal Unit, Royal Air Force Northern Ireland, 22 June 1941, Accident on the Ground, Fell into a underground chamber caused by a German bomb near Aldergrove and died of asphyxiation, Age 24, Arnold Notts, Arnold Cemetery, Notts.

BOULDEN, Sergeant Arthur Walter Edward, Royal Air Force (542316), Bomb Disposasal, 19 Bomb Disposal Unit, Royal Air Force Northern Ireland, 22 June 1941, Accident on the Ground, Climbed into an underground chamber caused by a German bomb near Aldergrove trying to rescue Cpl. Burton q.v., but died of asphyxiation, Age 24, Tooting, London, Wandsworth (Streatham) Cemetery, London.

See: Failed To Return, Part 2, A-B/N&MP/2019/pp.804 & 1146.

Col.