Thread: Ernest Leslie Hyde DFC - Citation

Thanks

Default Ernest Leslie Hyde DFC - Citation

Hi All,

Could someone help me to find the citation for the DFC of Ernest Leslie Hyde (service number 37179).

I can find his promotions etc but not the date or citation of his DFC. He certainly held the DFC in December 1940.

Any assistance would be most appreciated,

Many TIA,

Russ

Thanks

Russ, Entries from the LG and London Times, but no individual citation:
    Air Ministry,
    31st May, 1940.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE.
    The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the undermentioned awards:
    Awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.
    Flight Lieutenant Ernest Leslie HYDE (37179).
    The above awards are for gallantry and devotion to duty in the execution of air operations.

WING COMMANDER ERNEST LESLIE (JOHNNY) HYDE, D.F.C., who has died of wounds in Norway after air operations, was 27 years of age, having been born in 1914 at Milford-on-Sea, Hants. He was educated at Bedford Modern School and was trained for the Merchant Navy in H.M.S. Worcester. In May, 1933, he was appointed a midshipman in the Royal Naval Reserve. Two years later he was granted a commission in the R.A.F. as acting pilot officer, and was promoted flying officer in 1937 and flight lieutenant in 1939. After training he served with units in the Coastal Command. He was awarded the D.F.C. on June 1, 1940, for gallantry and devotion to duty in the execution of air operations with this command in northern waters.
    London Times dated 1 Jul 42
    Died 29 Apr 42, Buried Trondheim (Stavne) Cemetery.
    Source: CWGC
    Regards, Terry

Thanks

Many thanks Terry,

I assume this was W/C 'Johnny' Hyde who played the lead role as pilot of 'T' Tommy in the film 'Coastal Command'

Russ

Thanks

Yes I can confirm - this is W/C 'Johnny Hyde' who was in 'T' for Tommy and Coastal Command - I am proud to say he's my Grandfather.
    Giles

Thanks

Hello Giles & Welcome,

Your grandfather and my grandfather attended the same school - Bedford Modern - and are both buried in Stavne Trondheim Cemetery. I visit their graves quite regularly and can supply you with a photograph of your grandfathers grave if you do not have one already.

Could you please contact me at archieraf@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks & Regards
    Linzee

Thanks

HYDE, Ernst Leslie, F/L (37179, Royal Air Force) - No.204 Squadron - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 31 May 1940. Public Record Office Air 2/9413 has recommendation and the following citation.

"This officer has done consistently good work since the outbreak of war. On the 8th April he reported the position of the German battle fleet and made a successful reconnaissance. although his aircraft was badly damaged by anti-aircraft fire. On 9th April, while on reconnaissance duty over Norway, he was attacked by two enemy aircraft which he engaged until damage to his petrol tanks and gun turret forced him to break off. He the crawled inside the wings and stopped up many holes in the tanks, until overcome by fumes; had this not been done the aircraft would not have reached its base."

Thanks

I'm posting this link to a currently running thread relating to the loss of the 248 Sqdn Beaufighter & Hyde as the threads will no doubt drift apart in the coming months/years

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5106

Linzee

Thanks

Thanks Hugh, Linzee and especially you Giles,

Reading the DFC citation Hugh, the storyline in the film 'Coastal Command' appears to follow the DFC citation..... I wonder if this was intentional?

Russ