Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sgt Josef Sokol, 19 sqn RAF

Thanks

Default Sgt Josef Sokol, 19 sqn RAF

Hello all,

a Czech member of 19 sgn RAF Sgt Josef Sokol had two encounters with German bombers on November 6, 1941 and December 27, 1941 respectively. Is any of the opponents known, have any damage been inflicted?

Thanks in Advance.
    David Sumerauer

Thanks

David,

John Foreman's "RAF Fighter Command Victory Claims" (part 2) only makes a mention of 19 Squadron on 27 Dec 41 when Sgt. Netopil (of 19 Sqn) shares a claim of a Ju-88 damaged off Orfordness.

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

David,

according to list of RAFFC Combats & Casualties 1941 by Tony Wood:

6.11.1941 - no claim by 19 Sq
    27.11.1941 - unnamed pilot shared 1/2 of damaged Ju 88

The same info could be found in book Na nebi hrdeho Albionu by J. Rajlich - which I supposed you know...

Pavel

Thanks

Default Sgt Josef Sokol

David

Josef was my Grandfather. My father (Josef's only child) scanned pages of the 2 dates in question from his log book and has put them in the post to me. I will try to scan and post them when they arrive.
    Rgds
    Nicola

Thanks

Default Log Book Pages - Josef hit on 6th November 1941

Hi David
    i have the scanned pages from the log book. On the 6th November Josef Sokol was in a fight with plane 88 and got hit with 1 bullet through port wing and port wheel. I have the pages for November 1941 scanned into a document, but i am unable to post the attachement on here. If anyone would like a copy please email me through the private forum with an email address and I will send a copy of the pages. I currently just have the information for November 1941 but would be able to get December on request.

Regards
    Nicola

Thanks

Hi All,

A.

6th November 1941

Two Spitfires Vb (two cannon, four mg) took off from Matlask at 0825 hours to intercept an enemy aircraft over the sea. Sergeant Sokol (White 1) RT went u.s. shortly after crossing coast, so Sergeant Watson (White 2) took the lead. At 0855 hours Sergeant Sokol sighted a Ju88 at 30 to 50 feet and was unable to attract Sergeant Watson's attention.

Sergeant Sokol dived to attack, as the enemy aircraft turned east. He gave chase closing to 300 to 400 yards and opened fire with cannon and machine guns in a high quarter attack. The enemy aircraft then disappeared into the haze and Sergeant Sokol turned towards oujr coast, when almost at once he saw another or the same Ju88 coming from the east at sea level. He attacked the Ju88 which started weaving, closing to 200 yards astern he fired two short bursts. His first burst was cannon then machine gun only, having expended his cannon ammunition. The enemy aircraft was then lost in the haze. During the combat Sergeant Sokol's Spitfire received a bullet through the mainspar which punctured his wheel. but he landed safely.

Sergeant Watson saw nothing of the combat.

B.

27th December 1941

Two Spitfires Vb scrambled from Ludham at 1010 hours and then given vectors taking them in the neighbourhood of Shipwash Lightship. At 1050 hours they saw a Ju88 approaching from the east at 9'000 feet. A Spitfire from 11 Group was seen diving to attack.

Sergeant Netopil (White 1) closed to 400 yards and opened fire from dead astern with cannon and machine gun. The enemy aircraft dived for cloud cover which was below, and as it entered, black smoke was seen coming from the starboard engine. The enemy aircraft was dodging from one cloud to another, but Sergeant Netopil was able to get in a second burst of cannon and machine gun. The enemy aircraft was last seen with smoke still coming from the starboard engine.

Sergeant Sokol (White 2) was waiting patiently behind his leader to get into a favourable position to attack. He was just about to open fire when a Spitfire from 11 Group appeared in his sights 50 yards ahead.

The enemy aircraft was chased by Spitfires from 11 Group as well as our Squadron and the result was a shared damaged Ju88.

It is understood that the Y service has reported that the enemy aircraft landed at Montdidier in a damaged condition.

See:
    Fighter Squadron.
    Palmer,Derek.
    Upton-upon-Severn:Self Publishing Assoc.,1991(rep.).
    A. p.213.
    B. p.214.

Regards,
    Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 17th April 2009 at 14:23. Reason: minor correction

Thanks

Default Log book

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola View Post
    Hi David
    i have the scanned pages from the log book. On the 6th November Josef Sokol was in a fight with plane 88 and got hit with 1 bullet through port wing and port wheel. I have the pages for November 1941 scanned into a document, but i am unable to post the attachement on here. If anyone would like a copy please email me through the private forum with an email address and I will send a copy of the pages. I currently just have the information for November 1941 but would be able to get December on request.

Regards
    Nicola
    Hi Nicola.

I would be grateful for a copy of the scanned pages. TIA

JEJatLOGIT.DK (replace at with @)

Thanks

Default sgt Sokol, 19. sqn

Thanks for all replies, highly regarded.

Kind Regards

David Sumerauer

Thanks

I am still interested in the scans.

jejATlogit.dk (replace AT with @)

John E.

Thanks

Default Joe Sokol

Hi Nicola,
    My Uncle, Flt/Lt Jack Henderson DFC, flew with your grandfather while he was with 'A' Flight of 19 Squadron. Unfortunately, my uncle was killed on 22 December 1942 while on patrol near the Brest Peninsula. The official story was that he crashed accidentally but I have since found out that he was shot down in a Focke Wulf 'ambush'. My private research became so huge that it is now a book and nearing completion. I would like to hear about what happened to you grandfather after the war.
    Please e-mail me direct to henderson_rl@hotmail.com.
    I would also very much like to see any log-book entries that you have about Sgt Sokol's time at 19 Squadron. I am still struggling to identify some of the aircraft letters of that period, especially those of 'A' Flight.
    I am in touch with some 19 Squadron survivors who knew your grandfather. I can pass on your details if you wish.
    I am so pleased to have found you. Some parts of my research have been very difficult. Any news of the family of Bohumil Netopil? 'Net' (as he was called) was another of my Uncle's friends.
    My very best wishes from Wales,
    Hope to hear from you soon,
    Roger
    PS Jack was my father's older brother.