Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F/Lt W.J. Picken DFC

Thanks

Default F/Lt W.J. Picken DFC

Hello,

I would like the citation for the DFC of F/Lt William James Picken 80222 of 106 Squadron who died on 5 March 1943 in Germany .
    He was Rhodesian, and if someone knows something about his life or possible relatives, your help is welcome .
    Thank you !
    Alain.

Thanks

From Flight magazine

P/O. W. J. PICKEN, R.A.F.V.R., No. 106 Sqn.
    This officer has acted as captain on Hampden, Manchester and Lancaster aircraft. He is a pilot of great skill and resource who has achieved much success. He has many times attacked targets in the Ruhr and on several occasions bombed the naval yards of Hamburg, Kiel, Bremen and Brest. He took part in the attack on the Renault armament, factory, scoring hits from 3.000 feet. He invariably presses home his attacks whatever the opposition. His courage and determination have been of a high standard.

A

Thanks

Alain,

There are half a dozen brief mentions of Picken in Beryl Salt's 'A Pride of Eagles - The definitive history of the Rhodesian Air Force 1920-1980'. He was serving with 44 Sqn when taking part in the first '1000' raid over Cologne in May 1942, according to the book.

Errol

Thanks

Alain,
    778468 (Enlistments in Rhodesia - allocated from Jun 40) Sgt William James Picken Commissioned as Plt Off on Probation (War Emergency) (80222) in RAFVR wef 2 Feb 1942. Souces Routledge and LG.
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Default F/Lt Picken

Picken rests at CWGC Reichswald, plot 8.
    It was very surely his aircraft which crashed 5. March 43 around 21.30 hrs. West of Boenninghardt, near the farms of the families Grootz and Schlootz in my vicinity. The high capacity bomb destroyed the farm of the Schlootz family and killed all five members except a six-months baby girl. A picture of their headstone can be found here:
    http://www.flughafen-boenninghardt.de/heimatschutz.htm,
    scroll down to the end. The crash site of Lancaster I W 4918 ZN-D is known to me as well.

Regards, George

Thanks

Thank you for all these details my friends .
    George, could you contact me at: alain-charpentierATlive.fr
    I would like to know more about the crash.
    Thank for your help .
    Alain

Thanks

Default F/Lt W.J. Picken DFC

Alain,
    My great uncle, Air Gunner Sgt Leonard Arthur Leadbitter, was the rear gunner on the fateful night that Lancaster W4918 was brought down with F/Lt William James Picken in command.
    I have started researching my great uncle's service life after recently receiving his logbook.
    I am in the process of constructing a model of W4918, and for presentation purposes, would like to add photos of the crew (preferably in uniform) who perished along with him that night, along with suitable descriptive text of their lives.
    Have you in your possession any detailed information or photographs that might help me in this?
    Regards
    Alan Wilson

Thanks

Hello !
    Please contact ma at:
    alain-charpentierATlive.fr

Alain

Thanks

Hello,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm interested in the content of the messages of Errol and Peter.

Peter, can you expand on "Routledge" ? I imagine he's the author of a book ?

I'd like to know if any of your sources mention Flight Lieutenant Patrick Maynard Warren BUTLER, 84215 ? London Gazette (20 September 1940) and Flight (26 September 1940) say that

"Administrative and Special Duties Branch
    The undermentionned Southern Rhodesian Air Force Officers are granted commissions for the duration of hostilities in the ranks states [....] Pilot Officers [...] 24 August 1940 Patrick Maynard Warren Butler (84215). He was promoted to F/O a year later, and relinquished his rank at his own request and was transferred to the General Duty Branch in the rank of Pilot Officer, with effect from 5th May 1942.

He flew as a navigator with No. 214 Squadron and was captured when his Stirling was shot down in the Aisne département, in the night 28/29 November 1942. I have the details from Chorley and from his PoW questionnaire, in which his private address is in Surrey.

No mention of Southern Rhodesia, but the PoW questionnaire is just 3 pages, no place for much details. He was born on 12th August 1908 and was a sollicitor.

Is he mentioned in your books ?

Thanks in advance

Joss

Thanks

Joss,

Butler does not appear in the index to the main body of 'A Pride of Eagles'. The appendices, which form about a third of this 1002-page book are not indexed, however, so possibly he's mentioned there but too much material to quickly find him if so.

Errol