Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosquito HX916

Thanks

Default Mosquito HX916

Hi ,

Would someone be so kind to check out once if the following info is correct ?
    09/10/1943
    Schoten ( Belgium )
    Mosquito - HX-916 - 464Sqn - SB-F
    F/L Kerr Phillip C 405106 (KIA) RAAF pilot
    F/O Hannah Bernard J (KIA) 403446 RAAF navigator
    Buried Schoonselhof cemetery Antwerp Belgium

Thanks

Hi Alain:

Shores & Thomas and Air Britain both have that one as HX912. A quick check of the ORB at www.naa.gov.au indicates that HX912 was indeed F, with crew as you've noted.

Thanks

Default Hx-912

Thanks

Alain

shinz Guest

My first posting on this forum which would have been a couple of months ago if I hadn't mislaid my log in details. :(
    If I may be permitted to make a correction to the information in Alains first post, F/O Hannah was actually a member of the RNZAF, not the RAAF, even though 464 Squadron was listed as an Aussie Squadron. He was my Uncle. He & his pilot Phil Kerr are buried side by side in Schoonselhof CWGC Cemetery in Antwerp in Belgium. They apparently crashed on the outskirts of Antwerp, I have always wondered how they came to crash so far from their target.
    Steve.

Thanks

Steve,

The following may be of interest, from my trilogy 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume Thwo: Fates 1943-1998)':

Sat 9 Oct 1943

FIGHTER COMMAND

Ramrod 265 - bombing raid on aero engine works at Woippy, France
    464 Squadron, RAAF (Sculthorpe, Norfolk - 2 Group, Tactical Air Force)
    Mosquito FB.VI HX912/F - took off between 1105 and 1116 piloted by Flt Lt P C C Kerr, RAAF, with 11 others, being one of two which failed to return. Poor weather encountered shortly after take-off resulted in aircraft becoming scattered and landing away from base on return to England. Mosquito HX912 was last seen by the others in a shallow dive heading towards the cloud-covered target area. Later found to have crashed at Schoten, on the NE outskirts of Antwerp, the two crew being buried 6km to the south at Fort 3 in Borsbeek on the 11th. After hostilities they were reinterred in the town’s cemetery at Schoonselhof.
    Navigator: NZ403446 Fg Off Bernard John Ewart HANNAH, RNZAF - Age 31. 536hrs. 23rd op.

Errol

Thanks

And from Vol Three (Biographies and Appendices):

Amendments:

pp150-151; HANNAH, B J E – reinternment was by mid-December 1945.

Biography

HANNAH, Flying Officer Bernard John Ewart.
    NZ403446; b Wgtn 19 Apr 12; Napier BHS (1st XV) & Victoria Univ Coll; land purchase officer – State Advances Corp, Auckland. RNZAF Levin/GTS as Airman Pilot u/t 29 Sep 40 [hosp/sick leave 17 Oct-19 Nov], 4EFTS 27 Dec 40, pilot trg terminated, remust as Air Observer u/t 24 Jan 41, ITW 15 Mar 41, emb for Canada 26 May 41, att RCAF 13 Jun, 7AOS 15 Jun 41, 5BGS 15 Sep 41, Air Observers Badge & Sgt 25 Oct 41, 1ANS 26 Oct 41, Comm 24 Nov 41, 1 Y Depôt 9 Dec 41, att RAF & emb for UK 13 Dec 41, 3PRC 26 Dec 41, 1AOS [redesignated 1(O)AFU 1.2.42] 17 Jan 42, 17OTU (Blenheim - 2 ASR ops) 10 Mar 42, 464 Sqn RAAF (Ventura, Mosquito; 21 ops) 31 Aug 42, kao 9 Oct 43. Schoonselhof Cemetery - IVA.B.14, Antwerp, Belgium. Son of John Gordon Bowman & Agnes Hannah (née Malone), Wgtn. [OHT2 & phot. TWN 26.11.41 & 29.12.43].

Errol

shinz Guest

Many thanks Errol, I am familiar with the 1st of your entries from Vol 2, my father had a copy of this volume due to his brother featuring in it. I had not seen the entry from Vol 3, however, so many thanks for this. By the good auspices of Google Earth, I now have a better idea of where events happened. When Dad visited his brothers grave immediately following WW2, the body was still interred in Fortress 3, at Borsbeek, he had a photo of the simple wooden crosses in the graves then. I visited the graves at Schoonselhof on the 40th anniverary of his death, such a sad but beautifully serene surrounding. I'm not sure if this is the best forum to begin to explore such avenues but it would be of interest to know details of the crash, was it due to weather, or enemy activity & if so, aerial or anti aircraft fire? I would like to visit Antwerp with my family one of these years & possibly visit the sight of the crash if such could be determined, as well as the grave at Schoonselhof.
    Steve

shinz Guest

Hope its OK to dredge this thread up & post a link to a query regarding the crash of this aircraft in 1943 & looking for info about it with a view of a visit to Belgium later this year.
    Steve.

Thanks

Hello Steve
    have you obtained both mens service records from Australia and NZ? Since their remains were recovered there should be useful location data contained within them. Im typing on a smartphone so I cant easily check for Kerrs A705 casualty file online at the Australian NAWebsite.

ok I just looked at Kerrs file and yes,nothing about the location of crash. The bodies were in a known place so the plane did not need to be found.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 25th February 2014 at 06:14.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

shinz Guest

Hi Dennis, thanks for looking that up, maybe I should have just continued this thread like you say but rather thought I was coming at it from a different angle which I have tried to explain in a response to Errol on the new thread. I had hoped that my queries on here might have found a Belgian member with knowledge of where/who in Belgium I might approach to further my enquiries as to the crash site & any local victims.
    Steve.