Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help deciphering service record

Thanks

Default Help deciphering service record

Am going through Uncle John's RAF service record and would really appreciate help in deciphering the postings. Some of them I do know, or can work out. The list reads as follows:

Birmingham, Res,
    1 ACRC (Aircrew Reception Center?)

ACDW

26 Wing ACC Ludlow

8 ITW (This was the Initial Training Wing in Cornwall we have the photo of.)

ACDC
    21EFTS-A

ACDC

STN Ludlow (A)

ACDC

1 EANS (Navigation School?)

7 AOS

26 OTU

31 Base

Methwold (A)

31 Base

149 Squadron (which was at Methwold)

I also know that he was at 1651 HCU, which is mentioned in his logbook, but which may be called something different in the list above. I also believe based on the logbook that he trained in Northern Ireland. Can anyone tell me where as well as what the above postings were?
    Last edited by Natalie; 16th October 2008 at 09:28.

Thanks

Natalie

ACD Air Crew Despatch Centre
    ACDW Air Crew Disposal Wing
    AOS Air Observer School
    OTU Operational Training Unit
    EANS Empire Air Navigation School
    HCU Heavy Conversion Unit
    STN....possibly Station.

When was he at 149sqdn.
    Regards......Alan.

Thanks

According to the service record he was moved to Methwold (A) 21/4/1944. This is not in his logbook.

According to his logbook he was at 1651 HCU for about a month from 24/5/1944. I think 1651 HCU was at Wratting Common at this point.

According to the service record he was posted to 149 Squadron, which was at Methwold, on 23/6/1944.

Thanks,

Natalie

Thanks

hello Natalie,

I can't tell anything about the French parentage comment in the service record or your uncle, but I'm interested about the missions he flew against flying bomb sites. You wrote in your last message that he was posted to No. 149 Squadron on 23rd June 1944.

During the night 24/25th June 1944, 149 lost a Stirling on a flying bomb site raid, near Fruges in the Pas-de-Calais. Did your uncle fly that operation ? Is there any mention about the loss of that bomber in his log-book ?

ITW : Initial Training Wing
    EFTS : Elementary Flying Training School

STN should stand for station (i.e. airfield)

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Sorry, Uncle John's crew didn't fly on that mission (they were doing a Bullseye exercise that night). They did go on one to a flying bomb site at Les Landes three nights later, however.

Natalie

Thanks

ACC = Air Crew Camp

http://www.raf-lichfield.co.uk/GroundUnits.htm will help with these abbreviations

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Natalie,

(A) probably indicates 'attached' (i.e. a temporary posting)

31 Base was part of No.3 Group and controlled a number of its stations/units, one of which was 1651HCU based at Wratting Common. In 1944 it was the norm for an aircrew destined for an HCU to be first posted to one a 'Base'.

Errol

Thanks

Errol, I was wondering whether the A meant "A flight", but he wasn't flying ops yet, so you are probably right. I expect that they must have known where he was going to end up and that was why he was attached to Methwold.

Incidentally, would the crew have been formed at 31 base or 1651 HCU?
    Last edited by Natalie; 17th October 2008 at 00:54.

Thanks

Natalie,

At this stage of the war, normally a five man crew would form at OTU (training there usually being carried out on twin-engined Wellington aircraft) - pilot, navigator, bomb aimer, wireless operator, air gunner.

The flight engineer and an extra air gunner would join them at HCU to make up the seven-man crew required for a four-engined bomber.

Errol

Thanks

Thanks Errol. One of the reasons I asked the question is that there was a photo of five crew members taken by John Robinson, the flight engineer. In the manner of these things there is no date or other information on the back, though we do know the identities of the five men in the picture. I was under the impression that airmen were not supposed to have private cameras at operational squadrons, which makes me suspect that the picture may have been taken at the Heavy Conversion Unit. If that indeed was where Robinson joined the crew, this becomes more likely.

Natalie