Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avro Lincoln crash 1950

Thanks

Default Avro Lincoln crash 1950

Hi all,

100 Squadron lost one of their Lincolns on the 15th of March 1950,mwith the loss of 5 crew (Brown, Edgar, Brayshaw, Rolfe, and Sherratt).

The ORB makes only a fleeting mention to this crash, and doesn't give either a date (which i got from foresmemorial.org) or the serial of the aircraft, or indeed the circumstances or location of the crash.

Can anyone help me with the above details?

TIA,

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

15th March 1950 was a bad day for Lincolns - Another from RAF Scampton crashed
    near Snowdon killing 6

However, the Times Thursday, March 16, 1950 says about the other Crash

"Five members of the crew were killed, and one was injured, when a Lincoln aircraft, which had been on a night cross-country training flight, crashed at Hemswell R.A.F. station. Lincolnshire, early yesterday. The Lincoln was coming into land in fog, when it struck a
    wheat field near Kennington Cliff.

Those killed were:- Master Pilot M.A.C. Brown, Engineer III W.P. Edgar, Navigator III T.W. Brayshaw, Signaller II A.W. Rolfe, Gunner II G. Sherratt. The injured man was Navigator II B.T. Newland

Thanks

Found that Lincoln RF472 crashed at RAF Hemswell and Lincoln RF511 at Caernarfon on 15 March 1950.

Regards,

Leendert
    Brugge/Belgium

Thanks

Details from "Last Take Off":
    Lincoln RF472 crashed NE of RAF Hemswell

Pilot reported BABS was unserviceable. Aircraft overshot from an attempted visual landing, crashed and overturned.

Those killed were: Master Pilot Maurice Alan Collingbourne BROWN; Engineer III William Patrick EDGAR; Navigator III Percival Winston BRAYSHAW; Gunner II Cyril Ian SHERRATT; Signaller II Albert William ROLFE. Navigator II B T NEWLAND was injured.

HTH

Dave Molyneux

Pete100 Guest

Default Lincoln Crash

Hi all, I'm new here but I should just like to add a few comments on this thread as I think it might be relevent.

I vividly remember a Lincoln Bomber crashing at Scampton in the early fifties as it only just missed me! I can't remember the exact year but it was either 51 or 52 and I think November 6th as I seem to remember that I was in the MQ garden picking up some of the used fireworks left from the evening before. I was brought up sharp by a loud noise and a blast of heat so I did what came naturally ...ran into the house!
    The aircraft was apparently on final approach when it hit the corner of a hangar. It bounced across the two roads that run through Scampton, demolishing the Firing Range on its way, and came to rest in a ball of flame on the green behind our MQ's garden.
    There was a lot of fire tenders at the scene within minutes and the majority of these were hosing down the buildings in the vicinity of the crash to reduce the risk of the fire spreading. There were also loud reports from the ammunition of the aircrafts guns as they were set off due to the extreme heat ...not a good place to be near.
    I know that the aircrafts tail and mid-upper gunners lost their lives in the crash but as far as I remember the remaining crew members escaped.
    I was only about five or six at the time so any details are a bit sketchy but I can still see the crash in my minds eye very clearly.

Pete.

Thanks

Hi Pete,

I think that this happened on 1st Dec 1951 to RF567 of No.230 OCU.

It is recorded as bouncing on a three engine landing, sinking on the overshoot and finally clipping a hangar with the wing.

Two crew were fatally injured so this ties in with your memory.

Regards
    Ross

Pete100 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ross_McNeill View Post
    Hi Pete,

I think that this happened on 1st Dec 1951 to RF567 of No.230 OCU.

It is recorded as bouncing on a three engine landing, sinking on the overshoot and finally clipping a hangar with the wing.

Two crew were fatally injured so this ties in with your memory.

Regards
    Ross
    Hi Ross, very pleased to hear from you.

Many thanks for the information, I've been trying for years to find out some information with regards to the crash but until now couldn't seem to find anything. You wouldn't happen to know if it's documented anywhere would you?

Best Regards
    Pete

Thanks

"Papa Cardiff", Hi,
    Good to see you back on the net.
    Sri to go off-thread a bit.
    Trust you have recovered from our 6-Nations successes!
    What can you tell me about 100 Sqn Lanc ND642 (HW-N) lost on a Main Force raid on Berlin on the night of 24/25 Mar 1944? I have them crashing 31 miles S of track on the Bombing Run-in after an encounter with a night-fighter. What can you tell me about the fate of the crew? We are particularly interested in the fate of the Navigator. If he became a POW then his ex-POW Questionnaire may (just may!) contain some info on what was known as the Night of the Big Winds.
    I don't care about the 6-Nations championship - The Triple Crown is what I want!!!
    Yrs Aye
    Peter Davies

Thanks

For Peter
    Chorley Vol 5 records this a/c as shot down by a night fighter and crashing 8 Km N of the town of Eilenburg and in the vicinity of Gruna-Laussig with the loss of all on board. Just to mollify Greg he considers worthy of note that apart from the M/U Gunner, Sgt D G Harris (Essex),the entire crew were Welshmen!
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Dick,
    Tks for that confirmation - much appreciated (only another 60-odd on that raid to go!).
    Having just got my hands on a Lanc MkIII flight sim program, I'm currently learning how to "fly" it! (I'm at 999 HCU at the moment - but still in the class-room!!). My aim is to re-"fly" that raid on the route, and at the settings given, in order to verify some of the event times quoted in various publications! You should know that they (the times) do not always "compute"!! At least it keeps me off the streets = and haunting Reading Rail Station to see which of the First Great Western trains have a "Papa Cardiff" 1 Grp 'sticker' attached thereon!
    What us 'Old 'Uns' do for entertainment could be the subject of some Bright Young Spark's Dissertation at Uni!!!
    Tks again
    Peter Davies