Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Avro Lincoln crash 1950

Thanks

As a child I remember one night, seeing from a distance an aircraft going down in flames at R.A.F. Syerston. As I recall it was a Lancaster or Lincoln and must have happened circa 1952. Does anyone know about this crash?

Thanks

Default Lancaster/Lincoln crash

David

The nearest that I can find is the collision between Lincolns RF407 of 61 Sqdn and RE374 of 57 Sqdn in the bomber stream during Exercise Bulldog at 2040 hrs on the night of 26/9/49. The wreckage fell between Staythorpe and Averham. Which apart from being about three years too early and a few miles north of Syerston and two aircraft rather than one, meets all your criteria exactly!

Ah well, ‘twas just a thought!

Regards

Allan

Thanks

I think that would have been the one. I was taking a guess at the year.

Austinp Guest

Default 1950 Lincoln Crash in Snowdonia

Hi All

I'm not an aircraft "buff", but I can help with the location of the Lincoln which crashed on 15th March 1950. If this is old news, please forgive!!

I was looking at the wreckage and two "shrines" today! The wreck is in the valley between Carnedd Llewellyn and Carnedd Daffyd (GR SH 677 639 - Elevation about 780 metres).

I was walking in the Carneddau Range and came upon the shrines at the location a friend had described. There are two memorials to the crew, an "official looking" one, built out of local stone and pieces of the wreckage, and a personal one - a simple inscribed granite tablet dedicated by the families of the crew and laid in 2002, though you really have to search the site for it.

It wouldn't be an arduous walk for anyone who is reasonably fit. Access to the valley is via Bethesda and the valley is that of the Afon Llafar, until it becomes the Nant Fach at the crash site. There is a lot of the wreckage visible, inluding undercarriage parts and large pieces of the wings.

I found the scene to be very moving indeed, so much so that my searches on arriving home led me to post this, (probably my last) comment. Although not an aircraft "buff", I have an interest in bombers in that my wife's father was a precision engineer working at the Rootes factory in Liverpool during the war, manufacturing Halifaxes.

I hope this post has helped

Austin Patterson

Thanks

Peter / Dick,

Many apologies for the delay in replying to your queries re:ND642, i've recently started a new job (still driving trains, but for a new company) and i'm away Monday to Friday every week at the moment on a course to learn all about the new locomotives that my new company is using. AlanW will be amused to hear that 1 Group stickers have already started to appear on them!! :)

Anyway, ND642. As Dick said, 6 of the 7 were Taffies, so it fits both my "100 Sqn" and "Taffia" criteria quite neatly. I have a large file on this loss, and have been in touch with some of the families of the crew, all of whom came from within 50 miles of Cardiff. Although very much a side project at the moment, it's our hope one day to get a memorial erected to this crew, perhaps at the National Museum of Wales just outside Cardiff. I haven't got the file to hand at the moment (7 month old baby on my knee as i type, 2 other children running loopy around the house, and a stonking headache after yesterday's Triple Crown win - i had to mention that y'know!!), but i'll dig it out for you later and see what is in there for you. I'd be happy to copy the details in it and snail-mail them to you if you PM me your addresses. Obviously the same goes for anyone else interested in this loss. But i'll certainly dig the file out later anyway.

And whilst we're on the subject of rugby (which strictly speaking we weren't, but i'm a Taffy, it's in my blood!!), Alain and anyone else French on the board, if you happen to be in Cardiff next weekend, be sure to let me know - i'm looking for any excuse to get drunk on the back of us losing the Grand Slam in spectacular style, and typical Welsh fashion!! :D

More later, all the best as always,

L/O

Greg
    Last edited by greg; 9th March 2008 at 09:15. Reason: My spelling is rotten!!
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

wreckhunter Guest

Default Memorials

Just to say that the more rustic of the two memorials referred to earlier is for Wellington DV800, not the Lincoln. Details of our recent visit with pics and coordinates are here:http://peakwreckhunters.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by wreckhunter; 26th April 2008 at 16:50.

Thanks

While on the subject of Lincolns can any one tell me anything of the one that used to be at Kenley c1956 and used for fire fighting practice? It was finally removed 1958/9 on a QM. Pete

Thanks

Pete

I think you’re referring to Lincoln B.1 RE242 which did feature on this, and a couple of other sites, about two years ago. It had come, via 63 MU at Edzell, from the Bombing Trials Unit at West Freugh to Kenley for fire/rescue practice.

I did try to resurrect the original thread, but the old board doesn’t want know, I’m afraid.

Regards

Allan

Thanks

Thanks, that's as much as Ineed to know, I always wondered if it was an accidental arrival or brought in deliberately which you confirm. P

Thanks

Default Bethesda/Gerlan

Greg,

I too have been up the Avan Llafar/Nant Fach valley looking for the site of my uncle's crash - 22nd Dec 1942 in a Wellington.

Originally all the Air Historical Branch told me was that the aircraft flew up the wrong valley, tried to turn, lost height and hit a hillside approx 0.5 mile east of Gerlan.

So armed with a (modern) 1:25000 map off I went to have a look. Had a chat to some locals who told me to go up the valley and look in the stream towards the head of the valley - there couldn't be too many crash sites in the area - how wrong can you get!!

Found lots of smallish bits of wreckage...thought some had a geodetic structure - and a wheel hub - mostly between Cwmglass Mawr and Cwmglass Fach but down on the valley floor and in the stream - I had started at the head of the valley and worked my way down towards Bethesda.

Later RAF PMC (PMA Casualty 2a (RAF)) gave me a few more details such as the crash occured at 1130 am, a grid ref - Sheet 41 102893 which was of little use until I managed to get a copy of the 1940 War Revision issue! Bob was stationed at Moreton-in-Marsh, 1446flt 21OTU

Needless to say, the site I went to was not my uncle's at all! His crash site was the otherside of the hill that you can see when looking down the Afon Llanafa think its called Y Garth.

From reading a book, think it was 'No Landing Place Vol 2', a Wellington and a Lincoln crashed up that valley with an Anson in the general area as well.

Uncle's name was 1379657 Sgt Robert Noel Braithwaite, a WOP/AG flying in a Wellington from Morton-in-Marsh belonging to 1446Flt 21OTU. Bob was the only SNCO in the crew (there was another WOP/AG) and was the eldest - two days after his 22nd Birthday, all the others were commissioned...which is a bit strange I suppose. Can't find his A/C ser no at the mo though. But found out why the Historical Branch were a bit cagey with details of the accident though...over the phone I was told that Bob's aircraft shouldn't have been UNDER 5000ft and certainly not flying up the A5 at tree top hight before turning east (right) over Bethesda and hitting a hillside - as said by eyewitnesses.

Would love to find out more about Bob - where he trained as a WOP/AG, more about his crew and to see and maybe get copies of the 'official' documentation regarding the crash and find out if it was true that he going to be sent the Far East to serve in the same area as his brother - a pilot who flew Liberators, Dakotas and Bleheims amongst others in Burma/India.

If anyone has more info about Bobs crash, 1446Flt or ideas where I can get more info I'd be greatful.

Anyone who would like photos of the are and wreckage desacribed above or a copy of the part of Sheet 41 (1940 War Revision) 1in to 1 mile I managed to get - A3 sized more or less centred on Bethesda...just ask.

Regards,

Nick
    Last edited by NickDay; 19th February 2009 at 00:05. Reason: Rubbish Grammer and spelling!