Thread: Lancaster loss 14/15 October 1944

Thanks

Default Lancaster loss 14/15 October 1944

I looking for more info for Lancaster Mk III WP-T ,LM165, 186 Sqdn which was bringing down on the 15th October 1944 during a raid on Duisburg. Aircraft and crew is still lost without a trace maybe over the target area, maybe over the Northsea. A/c was piloted by F/Sgt F.J.Cook,RAAF. I am in touch with the Brother of Sgt J.R.Sunley who was the reargunner of LM165 and I looking for more info on Sgt J.R.Sunley.

Regards and much thanks for your help,
    Adrian

Thanks

Hope this helps.

No.90 Squadron ORB records Sgt Sunley & crew arriving on the squadron via No.31 Base on
    September 30th 1944. The ORB records the loss of the crew on October 15th against Duisburg which was a maximum effort for the squadron with 28 crews dispatched. There is no mention of the crew being posted to No.186 Squadron in ORB of either squadron.

No.186 was formed on November 16th 1944 under the command of Wing Commander J.H Giles DFC who himself was ex No.90 squadron. No.186 Squadrons first operation was agianst Bonn on the 18th when 12 squadron aircraft were dispatched without loss.

Within the No.186 ORB the crew are recorded as casualties for October 1944. ? Not sure why. ? The Lancaster LM165 "T" is recorded as XY ( 186 ) within 90 Sqdn ORB, this is also recorded in the Tuddenham Station Records Book. However the AM Form 78 Movement Card records the aircraft being on charge only with 90 Sqdn. !!

The Bomber Command loss card incorrectly records the crew as being 186, I think this is where the confusion starts.

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

That should be October 16th 1944 and not November, finger trouble !!!
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve,
    Wasn't 186 Squadron formed from a nucleus of 90 Squadron personnel? As I recall XY was the code given to 90 Sqdn's "C" Flight in 1943. Perhaps this is where the cause of the confusion has its origins?
    Bill.

Thanks

Hi Bill,

Yes you are right, "C" Flight of 90 Squadron was XY. Given the raid was a maximum effort for the squadron ( 28 a/c ) I would presume all three flights operated. !

I have checked a few other files and found that in the No.3 Group Op's Book the following is recorded " T - 90 Sqdn - F/Sgt Cook RAAF " Nothing Heard " and in a part file, No.3 Group HQ Records Book " also records " T - 90 Sqdn - F/Sgt Cook "Missing"

This would suggest IMO that the crew was from 90 Squadron and perhaps the combination of the incorrect Loss Card and inclusion in the 186 ORB of the loss was the reason for the crew being recorded as 186.

Cheers

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Default Lm165

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Hope this helps.

No.90 Squadron ORB records Sgt Sunley & crew arriving on the squadron via No.31 Base on
    September 30th 1944. The ORB records the loss of the crew on October 15th against Duisburg which was a maximum effort for the squadron with 28 crews dispatched. There is no mention of the crew being posted to No.186 Squadron in ORB of either squadron.

No.186 was formed on November 16th 1944 under the command of Wing Commander J.H Giles DFC who himself was ex No.90 squadron. No.186 Squadrons first operation was agianst Bonn on the 18th when 12 squadron aircraft were dispatched without loss.

Within the No.186 ORB the crew are recorded as casualties for October 1944. ? Not sure why. ? The Lancaster LM165 "T" is recorded as XY ( 186 ) within 90 Sqdn ORB, this is also recorded in the Tuddenham Station Records Book. However the AM Form 78 Movement Card records the aircraft being on charge only with 90 Sqdn. !!

The Bomber Command loss card incorrectly records the crew as being 186, I think this is where the confusion starts.

Steve
    Hi Steve,

Very sorry for this very late reply and Thanks very much for your info sofar. I presumed that LM165 was crashed into the Northsea but as I told you previously I am in touch with the Brother of Sgt Sunley and he told me today that after his a/c was crashed the belongings of Sgt Sunley was given back to his family!! Do you have any info out of the ORB's for David Sunley?? I could put you in touch if you wish.

Regards,
    Adrian