Thread: AC2 Glanville Thomas - 1313168 - Died 27/9/41 - Severomorsk (Venla) Cem

Thanks

Default AC2 Glanville Thomas - 1313168 - Died 27/9/41 - Severomorsk (Venla) Cem

Hi again,

Another request for information concerning AC2 Thomas any input will be gratefully received, indebted to your wealth of knowledge.

Cheers.

Steve.

Thanks

Hi Steve
    From his place of burial and the date it looks as though he might have been part of a detachment of 81 and 134 Sqns who took their Hurricanes, flew them off the Carrier Argus and landed in N Russia,with the ground crew arriving by sea. The Sqns flew in operations around the Murmansk area, during which they engaged the Luftwaffe in combat and gradually taught the Russians to fly,service and operate the Hurricane. At the end they handed the a/c to the Red Air Force and were brought home by a returning Arctic Convoy.They were based very close to the front line in the area and did take casualties. The airfield at Severomorsk was called Vaenga and is a few miles N of Murmansk which the Germans were attempting to capture. There is at least one book on the subject-"Hurricanes over Murmansk" by John Golley but it has no Index and so I can't determine whether any casualties are mentioned.
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 17th October 2008 at 17:05.

Thanks

Hello Steve,

I have him with 151 Wing, 134 Sqn according "GRO War Deaths R.A.F."

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Steve,

I found the following on http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/english/articles/sheppard/hurricanes/index.htm:

"It was also on this day (= 27 Sept 41) that F/Lt V. Berg of 134 Squadron was involved in a terrible accident. Due to the condition of the taxiways, the Hurricanes now had two ground crew members laid across the plane's tail to keep it down, mainly due to the number of incidents of broken propellers. Something happened that F/Lt Berg in BD825 took off with the ground crew still on board. Unable to get off because of the slipstream, the Hurricane became airborne, stalled at about 50 feet and crashed to the ground. Both ground crew members were killed instantly and F/Lt Berg sustained serious injuries that were to stop him flying for two years. Due to this P/O N. Cameron took over command of 'A' Flight 134 Squadron. (P/O Neil Cameron was to go on and become Marshall of the Air Force, the highest rank a RAF Officer can go)."

No names of the ground crew members are mentioned, but both AC2 Thomas and AC1 James Ridley are buried at Severomorsk with date of death 27 Sept 1941.

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

Gentlemen,

A full and comprehensive reply, excellent, much appreciated. It did make me wonder why this airman became a casualty in Russia now I know. A new track to follow which makes it even more interesting.

Thanks again fullest regards.

Steve.