Thread: Halifax R9445 & W1154 35 Squadron

Thanks

Default Halifax R9445 & W1154 35 Squadron

I am trying to find out more about one of the crew members of Halifax R9445
    which crashed on return on the 3rd/4th March 1942. Sgt Janes is listed in
    Bomber Command losses, and I was wondering what his number and trade was, and
    if anybody knew his first name/initial.

I was also wondering if he was the same Janes who is listed as part of the crew
    of W1154 that crashed on the 13th/14th July 1942 near Canterbury.

Any help would be great,

Johnnie

Thanks

Johnnie

from his position on the crew list I would suspect that he was the Wireless Operator. It is possible that he is the same man in both incidents. The Squadron ORB may give more detail, failing that the Station ORB.

Regards

Daz

Thanks

hello,

This is the form 540 of No. 35 Squadron ORB (AIR 27/39 at TNA) :
    3 March 1942 : Ten aircraft took off from Linton to attack the Renault works Billiancourt [correct spelling is Billancourt], the weather generally was good except fro a very slight ground haze, nine of the aircraft made a very successful sortie, the result of which was observed the following day by reconnaissance planes who took photographs. Bursts were seen on the Gasometer and huge fires were observed all over the factory. One aircraft R.9445 Captain F/O S.D. Jones dd not attack owing to the Port wing and fuselage being hit by light flak and causing a short circuit in the electrical bomb release preventing dropping of the bombs accurately manually because both port engines out whilst making the approach. This aircraft was diverted to Oakington and crash landed making the aircraft category "E". The remaining aircraft were diverted, one other to Oakington, one to Abingdon and seven to Waterbeach. R.9381 (Captain) F/Sgt Roe landed at Waterbeach but was bogged and had to have an engine changed before returning to Linton. All crews spoke of intense illumination over Paris also congestion of friendly aircraft causing risk of collision.

The form 541 doesn't give the crew function, but Janes is in 5th position, but it's likely he was the wireless operator (may be also air gunner). No initials. JONES was in 'B' flight.
    R9445 had the individual letter 'T', took off at 17:34 hours, but no time given for the landing at Oakington.

As I'm going along in the ORB while composing the post, I find a Sgt Jones, R.M.G., who flew (again 5th position, likely to be a wop/ag) with F/Sgt Archibald. As you may know, this pilot was forumite Linzee Druce's grandfather, so if you ask her (through the website she created about her grandfather, easy to find through a google search), she might be able to help you, in case this is a typo in the entry for 6th January 1942. It is my opinion that initials were given because they were several member of the squadron with the same surname, to avoid confusion (sometimes they put the last 3 digits of the service number, for the same purpose). In this case, the two airgunners were Sgt D. Francis and Sgt S. Palmer, and I know for sure there was another Palmer on strenghth of the Squadron at that time (for I know his son). I also founnd another wop/ag : Sgt Jones J.R., who was flying in december 1941, but both are also on the same page as Sgt Janes, March 9/10th 1942, so a typo is unlikely.

Sgt Janes took part in the Tirpitz raid during the night 30/31st March 1942, with F/O Jones as pilot. Again on 27/28th and 28/29th April. There's a book about these missions, I can't remember the title, but you may find details in it.

29/30th May 1942 : Sgt Janes (4th position in the crew list) with W/O Balley as pilot, against Gennevilliers (Gnome works). With same pilot, flew against Cologne (30/31st May 1942). I don't have the ORB after May.

Hope this helps.

Joss

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Johnnie

I suspect the person you are looking for is 130905 James Henry Janes (later DFC) who was a W.Op/AG and was involved in both incidents as far as I can tell. There was no other Janes with 35 Sqn at that time

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Many thanks for the help with this. I have been after another Janes so I will post
    a message in the hope that somebody might be able to help.

Johnnie