Thread: Sgt Edward Elvin Roberts - 573897 - Died 25/9/42 - 119 Sqd - Gibraltar Nth Front Cem

Thanks

Default Sgt Edward Elvin Roberts - 573897 - Died 25/9/42 - 119 Sqd - Gibraltar Nth Front Cem

Evening to you all,

Here I am again requesting the same material as previous, hope it isn't getting too boring.

What information I have - from RAF Mod website and RAF Commands - is that 119 Sqd was based at Pembroke Dock during September 1942. RAF Mod states that 119 Sqd didn't start their first patrol with Sunderlands until November 1942, they were also using Catalina's at this time.

Therefore, I was wondering which aircraft was in use at the time of this 119 Sqd loss?

Also, I need:-

Serial No and Code;

Possible Crashsite.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Regards.

Steve.

Thanks

Steve,

He was the flight engineer on this aircraft (from the first volume of my 'For Your Tomorrow'):

Thu 24/Fri 25 Sep 1942
    Coastal Command
    Ferrying 119 Sqn aircraft from Pembroke Dock to Gibraltar for 202 Sqn, RAF
    119 Squadron, RAF (Pembroke Dock, Pembrokeshire - 19 Group)
    Catalina IB FP119 - captained by Plt Off T L Wright, RCAF. Encountered a severe electrical storm en route and at 0644 crashed into the sea off Cadiz, Spain, about 100km WNW of its destination. All seven airmen died, as did an Army, Navy, and possibly civilian, passenger. Five crew bodies were later recovered, three being buried at sea and the others on Gibraltar. The navigator and his two comrades are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial. It will be noted that by chance the Squadron and aircraft serial share the same number.
    Navigator: NZ404013 Plt Off Maurice Richard JEFFERY, RNZAF - Age 28. 270hrs.

And from the Amendments section of Vol Three:

p252-253; JEFFERY, M R took off from Mt Batten, having picked up the passengers there. The Navy passenger was couriering plans relating to Operation TORCH, his body and papers later washing up on the Spanish coast. This became the inspiration for Operation MINCEMEAT (better known through the 1956 film, The Man Who Never Was), whereby the Germans were cleverly misled about the forthcoming invasion of Sicily. The third passenger was a Mr G D Marcil.

Errol

Thanks

Default Sgt Edward Elvin Roberts

Hi Errol,

Thanks for your reply, full and very informative, especially concerning the Navy Rating who, as you said, was the inspiration for the film you have mentioned.

Appreciative as always.

Kindest Regards.

Steve.