Thread: Bill Leyland

Bill Leyland Guest

Default Bill Leyland

Hi, I need to find out if there was a crew list for every sortie, and where I might find them. Are the full crew named in the ORBs? I have received information that a rear gunner I have been tracing only flew 2 trips. He was in my uncles crew and I presumed he had flown 17 trips -same as my uncle. I need to know when he actually joined this crew, and how many missions he flew. He was Sgt Robert Henry Brewer of 102 (Ceylon) squadron. An ex employer said he had only flown 2 sorties - and was shot up on both! He said he had to parachute out of both stricken planes. Can anyone give me any pointers?
    Many thanks in advance.
    Bill.

Thanks

Default RAF Bomber crew records

Bill

I have contacted you by e-mail

Your man was on Halifax LL552 on ops to Stuttgart POW Luft 7 came down 24/7/44

Source Chorley BCL and Sands of time Clutton-Brock

Ops records sqns AIR27 TNA UK
    Combat Reports AIR50 TNA UK
    Station records AIR 28 and 29

Give me a phone call and I'll point you inthe right direction

Peter

Bill Leyland Guest

Thanks for that Peter. I do know all about his last op, and own both the books you quoted from. My specific quest is to find out how many ops this RG actually flew, to establish whether he was this crews regular RG. Apparently the man had told people he only flew two missions -both ending in bale outs!. If he was thier regular AG he would have flown 17 ops. My uncles log has no mention of any other bale out incidents. Just trying to make sense of it!
    Ring you soon.
    Thanks again.

Bill

Thanks

Default Ll552

Hi,

I realise that this thread is afew year old now but I am hopingthat someone may reply.
    My father-in-law's brother was the pilot, Jimmy Page, of LL552. I was wondering if anybody knows anything of his war record, sorties, stick hours, whether the same crew always flew together (where possible), etc. Any info would be appreciated.
    Are there any plans for future reunions or commemorations, etc.

Thanks.

Regards

Bob Connell
    Sydney
    Australia

Thanks

Bob
    Try Linzee's website
    http://www.archieraf.co.uk:80/
    concerning 102 RAF.

Fl/Lt A J Page's CWGC entry which you have probably seen ?
    http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2320871

Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 13th April 2010 at 12:40.

Thanks

Bill
    Try Linzee's website & contact as well.
    http://www.archieraf.co.uk:80/

Anne

Thanks

This was also visited on the old board in 2005 with, perhaps, an Australian connection. There's certainly enough background information here for the genealogists onboard:

http://www.rafcommands.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=7448&forum=DCForumID 6&archive=yes

"Seeking info on Sgt R. H. Brewer rear gunner 102 Sq 1944"

I am the newphew of a wireless operator who was killed returning from an operation to Stuttgart on 25/7/1944.Six crew died but the rear gunner luckily survived - Sgt Robert H Brewer. There was a commemoration a few years ago in France and many efforts were made to find him as he would have been guest of honour but he could not be found. I would still like to find him if he is still around, because my researches into my uncle and his crew have lead me into their world, and I yearn to hear his stories. They were aboard Halifax III LL552 from RAF Pocklington, Yorks, England. He bailed out of the stricken plane near the village of Piencourt, Eure and was eventually captured and ended up in Bankau PoW camp L7, Upper Silesia, Poland. He was processed in mid August and given the PoW number 556.A researcher I contacted said he was nicknamed 'Mush'. He hailed from Tolworth, Surbiton, Surrey and I presume he used the term Mush when he spoke, possibly in a cockney accent. He was described as being quite tall (for a rear gunner) and had dark hair and a lively sense of humour. We know he was married with a daughter before the war. From memory I think his wife was called Angela. He was known to my dad as 'Charlie', but I am 99% sure that this is because 'rear end Charlie' was the nickname given to all rear gunners at the time.
    Over the years I have compiled info concerning thier op's from other sources, but would love to hear about them first hand.

Does anybody out there know of this guy Robert Brewer? He apparently moved out of his house in Tolworth in the mid 40's after repatriation. I have contacted many associations regarding R Brewer, but no link has ever been made. I have a strong feeling that he emigrated, and further more, I feel he could be in Australia as he would have met plenty of Aussies along the way, especially in Bankau stallagluft 7.

Regards,

Dave
    Last edited by alieneyes; 13th April 2010 at 15:12.

Thanks

Default Robert Brewer

Hi

have looked on Ancestry and found the following:

Robert Brewer born 20 Dec 1920 (registered in Guildford) and died in 1982 (registered Surrey NE). Found a marriage to Ada Bridger in 1943 (she died in 87) registered in Surrey NE. Daughter Maureen (though spelt incorrectly). Am still researching but will come back if I find out more.....

Dee

Thanks

Default Halifax crew of LL552

I don't know if anyone may see this thread, as the story is quite an old one.....I have some very interesting information on this crew and the crash....

I'd be happy to help.

cheers,
    Andrew.

Thanks

Default Bump with a mission

Hi all,
    Wanted to bump this thread again for a reason.

Along with Bill, and many other assciate members of the 102 Squadron Association, and others who simply have an interest in the squadron, we are starting to build a web site especially for the Squadron.

First draft can be seen here, BUT it is only that.. a one page draft.
    http://www.chrisandodette.co.uk/102/index.html
    I hope the moderators of this forum will forgive me for this post but the idea is that this is going to be a site full of stories about those who served in the Sqdn, and not just another bunch of facts and figures.
    ANYONE, who has any link at all can send me their story and we will add it to the 'memories part' of the site.

It may be months and months before you see anything really change, we still don't have a domain as yet, but that will happen pretty soon.
    I attended the reunion with Bill and others last weekend, one of the highlights of my life to be honest. Sadly Tom Wingham (Sec of the Ass) couldn't make it this year, but I have spoken to him at length about this project and he fully behind what we are trying to do.

Thanks for you time in reading this, sorry Bill for hijacking your thread, know you won't mind.

All the best

Chris