Thread: W/C William Thomas OBE AFC

Thanks

Default W/C William Thomas OBE AFC

Wing Commander William Edward Thomas 60824 died recently. He is best known for taking part in the Great Escape, and according to reports he was one of the ones captured in the tunnel.

I have found the usual LG entries, and his postwar postings, awards etc. Hwoever, I cannot track down the aircraft or unit in which he was lost. Some spurious reports say that he was lost in a Blenheim in 1941, but I can't seem to find him in Warner.

Does anyone have any details

A

BTW he is also listed as an advisor on the Battle of Britain film

Thanks

Amrit,
    I've him on Havoc I serial AW404 of 23 Sqn, Ford/Sussex. Target: Intruder airfield Gilze Rijen, The Netherlands. Hit by Flak near Haamstede. Part of the crew baled out. Aircraft crash landed on a sand bank SW of the Dutch island Schouwen, 01.23 hrs (must confess that the crash is NOT listed in "Aircraft crashes The Netherlands WW2"). F/Sgt W.D. McADAM - 519802 buried Adegem WC (Belgium), first buried Zeebrugge (Belgium). Sgt R. BRYER - 913425 Runnymede Panel 40.
    Franks vol.1 page 140 and vol.2 page 155. Franks has for THOMAS initials "D.A.", however this officer became PoW on Halifax HR949 of 77 Sqn (Chorley Vol. 5 page 85).
    Still looking for confirmation of the crash location SW of Schouwen.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Thank you Henk. No wonder I couln't find him in FCL or Warners!!

Appreciate the help, as always

A