Thread: P/O M D D McCarthy RNZAF 27.2.42

Thanks

Default P/O M D D McCarthy RNZAF 27.2.42

Dear Gentlemen,

I'm looking for details about his first burial place and the crash place of Whitley Z9148, 77 Sqn..

Many thanks for your help.

kind regards

Steve

Thanks

Hi Steve
    Look at http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/general/RecordDetail.aspx?dataset=Cenotaph&SearchID=124606 3&Ordinal=12&OriginalID=29236
    and it indicates that this McCarthy was one of 3 brothers who were killed in WW2. One was killed in the Desert and the other died in 1943 on 7 Sqn and is buried with his brother in Sage.The link shows that he was first buried at Esens 35 KMS WNW of Willemshaven which was his target when shot down. If you look up his brother Raymond , he was attacking Stuttgart and was first buried at Oberstenfield.I suspect that should be Oberstenfeld. The site is the Cenotaph section of the Auckland Museum website.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Steve,

The info on the site Dick refers to is an unauthorised copy from my 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume One: Fates 1915-1942)' :

Fri 27/Sat 28 Feb 1942
    Bomber Command
    Raid against the battle-cruiser Scharnhorst at Wilhelmshaven, Germany (by 33 aircraft - 3 lost)
    77 Squadron, RAF (Leeming, Yorkshire - 4 Group)
    Whitley V Z9148/L - brought down over Germany and crashed near Esens, 35km WNW of Wilhelmshaven. All five crew died, the two New Zealanders being buried in the Esens Cemetery, probably with some or all of the others. All were later reinterred at Sage, 24km south of Oldenburg.
    Captain: NZ403976 Plt Off Morris Donald Darwin McCARTHY, RNZAF - Age 19.
    419hrs. 14th op.
    Observer: NZ404029 Flt Sgt Bert Gordon HIBELL, RNZAF - Age 21. 266hrs. 9th op.
    McCarthy’s brother, Raymond William McCarthy died over southern Germany on 15 April 1943 while flying with 7 Sqn, RAF. After the war Raymond’s body was exhumed from Stuttgart and buried alongside his brother’s at Sage.

And from the Amendments section of my Vol Three:

p186; McCARTHY, M D D – shot down by a night-fighter at Holtgast, 2km SW of Esens, at 2138. Yet another brother, Robert Colin McCarthy, died on 25 Oct 42 while serving in the Middle East with the 2NZEF.

'Oberstenfield', relating to Raymond, is an error by the Museum, not my book.

Errol

Thanks

Dear Dick and especially Errol,

many thanks for your kind help. It's much appreciated that you share those informations with us. I know what work stands behind those lines, believe me.

Many many thanks once again.

kind regards

Steve