Thread: P/O Waters David 72 Sqdn

Thanks

Default P/O Waters David 72 Sqdn

Hello ,
    On 15/05/1942 a Spitfire VB from 72 sqdn went missing during Circus 168 , the pilot was P/O Waters David O RNZAF 405350 (MIA) . Can someone help me with the serialnumber off the aircraft ?

Thanks

Hi Alain
    I think this is recorded in Franks Fighter Command Losses Vol 2 but the date given is 9/5/42. Franks records that he was on Circus 168 attacking marshalling yards at Hazebrouck and he crashed into the sea whilst checking a raft. He is recorded as KIA and flying Spitfire Vb BM384.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Alain,

From my 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume Two: Fates 1915-1942)' (a considerably better first stop for info on New Zealand personnel than FCL!):

Sat 9 May 1942
    Fighter Command
    Wing sweep over Northern France
    72 Squadron, RAF (Biggin Hill, Kent - 11 Group)
    Spitfire VB BM384 - took off at 1200 with others of the Squadron as ‘Red 3’. No enemy opposition was encountered during the sortie, but on the return over the English Channel ‘Red’ Flight dropped down to sea level to investigate an object which turned out to be a raft. During this inspection Red 3 was seen to hit the water and disappear. The pilot is commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.
    Pilot: NZ405350 Plt Off David Owen WATERS, RNZAF - Age 22. 257hrs. 31st op.

Errol

Thanks

Thanks gentlemen