Thread: 250 (Sudan) Squadron 1944/5

jules Guest

Default 250 (Sudan) Squadron 1944/5

Thank you gents for your replies. Amended below.

I'm trying to researching my Grandfathers RAF history.

1605939 Sgt Vincent Roy Keates. 8/03/1943 - 19/12/1946

I have his Service Book & Pilots Log Book, I have found his Record of Service in the back.

A Flight, No 1 Squadron, 5 I.T.W. June 1943
    145 Squadron May 1945
    239 Wing, 250 (Sudan) Squadron July 1945

I find the Pilots Log a very interesting read, however reluctant I am too touch the pages!.
    In reading it, it seemed he was never with the same Unit for long, weeks at a time sometimes and I can't understand why the entries just stop Oct 18 1945.

Did he only ever partake in Training?

His medals were the Italy Star and Defence Medal, however we cannot find them. We believe he was due another medal, but are currently gathering as much information as possible to enquire about any outstanding.

Thank you for your time in reading this
    Julie
    Last edited by jules; 24th October 2008 at 19:02. Reason: More information added

Thanks

Hi Jules
    Try first http://www.250-squadron.freeserve.co.uk/pages/mainframe.htm which could give access to further information.
    http://www.rafweb.org/Sqn001-5.htm will give a brief history of No 1 Sqn and it should be possible to find a similar history for 250 Sqn
    Michael Shaw
    "Twice Vertical" History of No 1 SQN Raf is a book on the subject of 1 Sqn if you can find a copy
    Hope this is a start
    Dick

Thanks

Default 250Sqn 1944-45

Hi Jules

The info you provide seems just a tad unusual. In 1944-45 No 1 Sqn was based in the UK and 250Sqn were based in Italy so from my experience it would be unusual for a junior pilot to be transfered in the way you describe. Can you give a bit more info with regard to dates on 1 Sqn and dates on 250Sqn?

Steve

Thanks

Jules,

A more recent book on 1 Sqn is "Number One in War and Peace - the history of No.1 Squadron 1912-2000' pub by Grub Street in 2000.

Errol

jules Guest

Hi Steve,
    Thank you for ur comments, I have made some amendments to my post.
    Hope you can spare time to have a quick read
    Julie

Thanks

Julie,

Regarding his medals he should have the War Medal, you only needed to serve 28 days to be entitled ! He should probably have the 1939-45 Star as well, although that's more complicated due to time spent in an operational area !

Mark

Thanks

Default 250Sqn 1945

Hi Jules

"A Flight, No 1 Squadron, 5 I.T.W. June 1943"

ITW is "Initial Training Wing" providing the most basic training and "square bashing" so this entry does not refer to a flying unit. "A Flight, No 1 Squadron" simply refers to the command structure of the ITW.

If your grandfather was a pilot then between June 1943 and May 1945 he must have been trained to fly somewhere and there should be entries including the initials "FTS" Flying Training School and probably ending up with a spell at an OTU/Operational Training Unit presumably on Spitfires before he was posted to 145Sqn. The flights he made during training should be entered into his Logbook.

145Sqn were based in Italy at the end of the war flying Spitfire Mk VIII and Mk IX. 145Sqn was disbanded in August 1945 which may be why he was transferred to 250Sqn. The time he was transferred coincided with 250Sqn converting from Kittyhawks to Mustangs.

The situation during these months immediately after the war in Europe ended was very turbulent with longer serving pilots being repatriated; some squadrons being disbanded and other pilots and squadrons being prepared for a possible move to the Far East so this may be why he seems to have moved quickly from one unit to another.

Steve

jules Guest

Default 250 Sqn 1945

Steve & Mark,

Thank you for your replies!

With reference to the 1939-45 Star medal, is there any way that you can give me more guidance as to what to look for in the Log book? I have all the dates and Units that he was with. I'm just finding it hard to understand it all.

My grandad flew a lot of aircraft, inc. the Tiger Moth, Spitfire (IX/VIII/IXC), Mustang, Kittyhawk, too name a few.
    Numerous units, 71 OTC (Ismailia), 56 PTC on a lot of different dates.

I have to say, it's riveting reading, especially his entry about when he dropped his first H.E 500lb bomb whilst with 145 Sqn.

Sadly he passed away in 1997, makes me wish I had had this conversation with him back in the day. That said, your knowledge is a godsend for my family so thank you again!

Julie