Thread: Henry Arthur Max Pearson 112221

gspearson Guest

Default Henry Arthur Max Pearson 112221

I am trying to learn something about my great uncle Henry Arthur Max Pearson, born 1904. His father was postmaster in Brighton. He went to Bogota in 1935 and came back in 1941 from Argentina to volunteer into the RAF. He was destined for 42 Fulwood Avenue in Preston. I don't know which base.

According to the London Gazette he then progressed from Acting Pilot Officer, retiring as Squadron Leader in 1954. He brought a wife, Margaret, with him in 1941 and I think they married in South America. He worked for Grace in America?

And that's all I know.

I would like to know where and what he flew; did he get into the RAF because he was already a pilot in South America; did he go back in 1954? Is there family? What was he called - "Mad Max"?

Grateful for any thoughts however wild, he is real mystery to my family.

Geoff
    Edinburgh

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Geoff

It appears he served in the Admin and Special Duties Branch and was therefore not aircrew

Cheers

Eddie

gspearson Guest

Eddie

I think that calls for a wow! I've been thinking for ages that he was some kind of phantom and just this week bits and pieces begin to emerge.

May I ask your source and what you think this means he was doing? My family have been in administration for many decades (for example, my father was on the 1950s British atom bomb trials in Australia - but administering).

Did HAMP come all the way back from Argentina (just) to push paper?

Geoff

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Geoff

The London Gazette holds many secrets for that was my source (which I should have quoted anyway).

He may have served in any non flying or non technical capacity. His age (37) when he arrived in the UK MAY have gone against him for service as a pilot. It would be pure guesswork to speculate in what capacity he was employed and my own experience tells me that can be counter productive. He may (for example) have been in Flying Control or Catering and they are a lot different.

Sorry not to be more helpful

Cheers

Eddie

gspearson Guest

Eddie

Many thanks - I thought I had squeezed the London Gazette dry - the refs I found did not seem to indicate what he did.

Geoff

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Geoff

All the promotions are by Branch so if you look at the beginning of each list the Branch is shown

Cheers

Eddie