Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coastal Command 86 Squadron

Thanks

Default Coastal Command 86 Squadron

Hi All ! (First Posting).

I believe AUS421035 FENWICK,George Walter John RAAF, was also aboard 'Lib' KH338 on 26 April 1945. Maybe someone can confirm his presence.

Greetings All,
    Col.

Thanks

National Archives Australia Record Search on Fenwick Serial Number confirms this

FENWICK, George Walter John - (Flight Lieutenant); Service Number - 421035; File type - Casualty - Repatriation; Aircraft - Liberator KH 338; Place - Skaggarak, Denmark; Date - 26 April 1945

Thanks

Hi Paul?,

I was aware of FENWICK info as qouted.

Perhaps I should explain.

FENWICK's A705, along with those of AUS421201 GODDARD,O.E., AUS421203 GOODWIN,R.B. and AUS414438 TYAS,H.C., are, as yet (30.10.08), undigitised. Hence FENWICK's presence unconfirmed.

The Item Notes of FENWICK, GODDARD and GOODWIN, provide a crew listing for 'Lib' KH338.

For those not in the know, the Item Notes can be accessed by hitting the Control Symbol, scrolling down, hit Item Notes - Voila!

Here's the rub. The info in the Item Notes is sourced from the A705s, so beware. The Listings may be incomplete or corrupt, as in the original casualty signals, or include names totally unrelated to the person named initially. ie. (Only) mentioned in file.

Hope I,m not preaching to the converted.

Regards,
    Col.

Thanks

Hi Col,

Could you please explain what is an"A705",can I view this on line, as I live in Australia I am not able to look at these documents if they are in the UK, P/O Oswald Goddard was my uncle,am trying to find as much about him as possible and about 86 Squadron.we know quite a lot of his training in Canada but not very much about his activities in Britian.

Regards,

Sid.

Thanks

Hi Sid,

Pardon the generality of my previous post.

An A705, is the Personal Casualty file of a member of the RAAF. They are located in Canberra, ACT, at the National Archives of Australia.

As previously stated, your Uncle's A705 is undigitised.

If you go to Record Search at, www.naa.gov.au , and type 421201 in the Keywords box, it will provide you with 4 files, 2 of which relate to your Uncle.

Click the Control Symbol on the file marked 166/16/632, this in turn will produce a Primary Description of your Uncle's A705. Scroll down and click the Item notes symbol - this will provide you with a crew listing of 'Lib' KH338.

You will also notice on this page a box marked, Request Copy. This will enable you to gain access , for a price - AUS$16.00 odd, to your Uncle's A705.

Also available at the NAA is your Uncle's A9300 (His RAAF Personnel file), which can be accessed in a similar fashion

Bit long-winded Sid, but persist. You'll find it well worthwhile.

Regards,
    Col.

Thanks

Hi Col

Thank you very much.

Sid

Thanks

Default 86sqdn.flight no.kh338 26/04/1945

Hello All,
    With reference for information regarding crew members missing Flight KH338 on 26/4/1945. My wife, Jane, is related by marriage to A.J.(Jack)GUDGE,Navigator. As its the 65th anniversary tomorrow since they were lost, now would be a good time to offer such information as we have. If any family members are interested we have a photograph of all the crew taken at Jack's wedding in Bristol August ? 1944. With reference members of crew who may or may not have flown; Jack's sister-in-law remembers Jack's Batwoman reporting that the crew wern't due to fly that night. But, as the crew that were supposed to fly were ill, KH338 were woken to take their place. The loss of this crew is especially poignant as the pilot, Harold Tyas had already completed his mission quota (we dont know the technical term). He had insisted on staying with his crew as he thought they would all come through if they stuck together. One member of the usual crew didn't fly that night, we don't know why, we can identify him on the photograph but dont know his name. This may clarify mystery of additional ? crew members ie: Fenwick.
    Hope this is of interest.
    alan-jane

Thanks

Default Liberator KH338 25 April 1945

I can confirm F/L Fenwick was amongst the crew.

Keith

Thanks

Hello Allen-Jane

Sid here, interested in your comment that the crew of KH338 were not suppossed to fly their last mission,I am interested in any information you may have.I also have some photo's of crew members with which I would like to exchange with you,these pics were in my uncles personal effects from the estate of his late wife.Among other items I have is Osswald's flight book listing all his flights while in the UK.
    Regards,

Sid