Thread: Two airmen 1941 Sage War Cemetery

Thanks

Default Two airmen 1941 Sage War Cemetery

Dear Gentlemen,

I'm looking for further informations about these airmen:

SHARP, Sergeant (Pilot) HUBERT GEORGE, 903863, 58 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. 12 May 1941. Age 29. Son of Mr. and Mrs. George Sharp; husband of Katherine Elizabeth Sharp, of Nunney, Somerset. Grave Ref. 5. B. 4.

THOMPSON, Flight Sergeant (Air Gnr.) EDWARD CARSON, 748054, 101 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. 8 August 1941. Age 27. Son of Alexander and Annie Thompson; husband of Olga Thompson. Grave Ref. 7. E. 10.

kind regards

Steve

Thanks

Hi Steve,

Thompson is listed in Chorley Bomber Command Roll of Honour !
    Nothing on Sharp, at this period 58 Squadron was still with Bomber Command !

Mark

Thanks

Steve,
    Sharp's number 903863 would give him as joining September 1939.

Not much help but you never know your luck.
    Digger

Thanks

Steve,

12/5/41 58 Sqn
    1325280 Sgt John S ALLSOP RAFVR
    639593 Sgt Stalford K MILLS RAF

Both listed on the Runnymede Memorial, and also listed in Chorleys Bomber Command Roll of Honour !

Mark

Thanks

Hello to all,

first I'd like to thank you all for your comments.

58 Sqn flew with the Bomber Command and neither Sharp nor Allsop and Mills are mentioned in vol. 2 of the Bomber Command Losses? Hm.

Following the burial place of Sharp I suppose that this unknown (?!) Whitley was lost over the sea. Sharp may have been first buried at Wittmund but that is not sure at the moment. I'll try to verify.

Refering to Sgt Thompson I found Wellington IC R1088, 2-3 Aug 1941.
    Following Chorleys work the a/c crash-landed at the base and no injuries were reported. A Sgt Thompson was member of the crew. No initials are mentioned. Maybe this is the Thompson I'm looking for as this Thompson was an air gunner too.

Sgt Thompson may have been first buried at Borkum. Another one I'll try to verify.

kind regards

Steve

Thanks

Hi Steve,

Checked RAF Overseas War Deaths 1939-1948

903863 SGT Hubert G SHARP 35 Squadron ! 1941

Yes- 35 Squadron
    Now from what I've seen of the Overseas List there are many errors listed (old units, typing errors etc) so it could be wrong ? The mystery deepens !

Mark

Thanks

MILLS, SHARP and ALLSOP were on Whitley Z6659 on a raid to Wilhelmshafen. Hit by a night fighter in the Enkhuizen (The Netherlands) area the crew were ordered to bale out near the Dutch island Texel. Sgt A.W. RIGLING again got the aircraft under control and together with the obs Sgt J.S. CAMERON he brought the Whitley back to the U.K. However they were not lucky for a long period of time because both became PoW 9-7-1941 on Whitley Z6666 (and again over The Netherlands).
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

THOMPSON baled from Wellington X9601 over the North Sea under attack of a night fighter. The Skipper, F/Lt L.A. RICKINSON, brought the aircraft back to base and was awarded the DFC.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Dear Henk,

problems solved. Many thanks. It's much appreciated.

kind regards

Steve

Thanks

Does anyone have any further details and/or the ORB entries relating to this incident:

"MILLS, SHARP and ALLSOP were on Whitley Z6659 on a raid to Wilhelmshafen. Hit by a night fighter in the Enkhuizen (The Netherlands) area the crew were ordered to bale out near the Dutch island Texel. Sgt A.W. RIGLING again got the aircraft under control and together with the obs Sgt J.S. CAMERON he brought the Whitley back to the U.K."

I am interested in the loss of HG Sharp who was a No. 35 Squadron pilot detached to No. 58 Squadron for training as the squadron's aircraft were grounded due to undercarriage problems.

Any information would be much appreciated

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]