Thread: 2FPP Hurricane 07/12/41 ATA Loss

Thanks

Default 2FPP Hurricane 07/12/41 ATA Loss

Hi Ladies and Gents,

While visiting local RAF graves to pay my respects I noticed a CWGC marker for First Officer Ernest Edward Gasser dated 07/12/41.

From Chris's ATA site I see he was an American killed when Hurricane Z5663 dived into the ground at Button Oak during a snow storm.

I will look for more details on my next visit to Kew, but would ask if any of the forum members have any more details on the crash, the man, his death registration etc.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hello Ross

Ernest Gasser's death, aged 31, is registered at Bridgnorth, 4th Q 1941. I note that the Salop/Worcs border runs through Buttonoak.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Hi Ross, here are the details from my Shropshire casualty research:

Z5663 – 7th December 1941.
    Accident card:
    “Ferrying from Brockwood to 48 MU Hawarden. Nr Bewdley, Worcestershire in the Wyre forest. Cause unknown. 12.20 hrs.”
    From 11 AA Division HQ War Diary:
    “12.20 hrs. BG051 reported plane crashed at Button Oak 71/198991. This proved to be a Hurricane MkIIB No Z5663 which was being delivered from Brockworth. The pilot and ATA named Gasser was killed. BG016 mounted guard until relieved by troops supplied by 53rd Division.”
    Pilot was:
    - First Officer Ernest Edward Gasser, ATA. He is buried in Wribbenhall (All Saints) Churchyard, Worcestershire. No next of kin given. “Brief Glory” states that he was American. His death was registered at Bridgnorth and his age given as 32. ATA files at Hendon state his home town as being Chevy Chase, Maryland.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Cheers Gents,

Just the info to give me a running start at this.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.