Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cause of Death - any ideas?

Thanks

Default Cause of Death - any ideas?

Hello

I am trying to identify the cause of death of two Sergeant Wireless Operator's from 78 Squadron who died on the 7th May 1942, but have come to a dead end (no pun intended) and wondered if anybody can suggest a way forward or even provide the cause.

The two men concerned are Sergeant's Wilfred Bertie Adams and Alan Rushton. Both are buried in the UK and both died on 07 May 1942. I have the information from the CWGC website and there is nothing in either the Squadron or Station ORB's for the period in question. They are not included in Chorley's Bomber Command Losses either.

Can anyone suggest another line of investigation, without going to the NA as I cannot get there at the moment due to work commitments.

Many thanks

Daz

Thanks

Daz, Hi,
    You could always try to obtain their Death Certificates from the GRO (both are Registered in the York office (GRO Ref Vol 9c, page 1131)). Each DC will cost you 7GBP (or it did when we last used the GRO). In our experience the Place Of Death is stated fairly closely (where known). The Cause Of Death is also stated, but these do tend to concentrate on the medical aspects although we have seen additions to the medical details such as "caused by falling into an unlit Static Water Tank", "caused by falling from his bicycle after colliding with a policeman in the blackout", etc, etc, etc. Some are better than others - and The Informant can also provide useful clues.
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Peter

thank you for the information, do you know if it is possible to view death certificates online on anything like ancestry.co.uk etc? I have looked at the GRO website and the cost is now 24.95 per certificate.

Regards

Daz

Thanks

The deaths of both men are registered at York in the 2nd qtr of 1941 with the same reference, 9a 1131.

The GRO charges 7.00 per certificate if the reference number is known. You may apply by post or online and it takes up to two weeks before receipt. If applying by post and paying by cheque it is recommended to write a seperate cheque for each certificate to avoid delays if any reason a refund has to be made.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Daz,
    There are those on this forum much more expert than I, but I don't know (in the England & Wales set-up) where DCs can be viewed on-line. Scotland's People may have such a facility - but the experts on that board will advise (but yr two are England & Wales!). NI a problem - many records lost (due to fires) in whatever round of The Troubles!
    However, I've just done a quick shufti of the GRO site and - as far as I can see - they are still charging the 7 fee for the bog-standard Cert.
    If you're in difficulties then email me and we'll see what can be done off-board
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Rushton is listed as Died on Active Service in the Times. I haven't found Adams, but there were too many entries to check all.

The fact that the two died on the same day could mean an accident, possibly road etc. Both men are listed in Vol 9 of Chorley

A

Thanks

I think Amrit's on the right lines. 78 Sqn were at Croft (as far as I can see) in May 42. Croft is too far away for York to be the Reg Office, so they may have been either going to/from Group HQ - or just out on a jolly!!!! But - I don't think Sgt W/Ops would rate much at a Group HQ. So, we may be looking at a strictly 'civilian' type accident causing the deaths of these two guys in RAF uniform.
    One of our uniformed (Met) guys was minding his own business in the Bletchley Station Tea-Room waiting for his train back to camp when one bit of an express ploughed into the back of the another bit of the same express at high speed. Big pile-up. Tons of engines. carriages, etc, flying about all over the place - and on to the Tea Rooms. Result; one dead RAF AC2 (amongst others)! Hardly War Dead - not AN ENEMY in sight. But that's the way it goes! Any forumites (of a wagering nature) care to puts odds on these deaths being in a civvy-type accident?
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 26th October 2008 at 13:51.

Thanks

Amrit, Peter, Dave W

thanks very much for the help. I will go back onto the GRO site and have another look. I had always suspected that the two had died together and have already identified one other loss on the Squadron as a result of a road traffica accident. I did also wonder if it was some sort of training accident, but as you say they might have been on a jolly somewhere.
    Thanks again

Daz
    Last edited by 78SqnHistory; 26th October 2008 at 14:59.

Thanks

Peter,

You were quite right, it is 7.00 with the GRO reference so I have ordered both certificates and eagerly await the postman! Many thanks once again.

Daz

Thanks

Daz,
    And don't forget to let us all know what turns up!!!!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies