Thread: P/O Nono Kiwi?

Thanks

Default P/O Nono Kiwi?

Can anyone tell me if Nono of this crew was from New Zealand, or anything about the rest of the crew. I have BCL books etc. Also looking for photos of crew or a/c. has anyone found the cause of the loss on ops to Essen ?

Thanks
    Peter

Lancaster ED451 106 sqn Lost Essen 30 Apr 1st may 43

Sgt Abell S.
    Sgt Alderson J.G. RCAF
    P/O Nono V.A.
    Sgt Plaskett S.
    Sgt Harrower
    Sgt Brown D.
    Sgt Barber A.L.

Thanks

According to Errol's 'For your Tommorow - Vol 2' the only New Zealander lost on the Op to Essen on 30/4 - 1/5 1943 was F/L James Wallace Potts RAFVR (12 Squadron).
    Regards
    Andy

Thanks

Peter,

No known New Zealander of this name served in the air force during WWII. I note also that no one of this name appears on the Australian War Memorial's RAAF nominal roll for WWII. The name is also not to be found in the RAF Air Force Lists of Nov 1941 or Oct 1946.

Errol

Thanks

Hallo all,

No no, he was not a New Zealander.

Sorry, I could'nt resist that !

Vincent Nono was Irish, of Belgian extraction. He was born in Ennis, County Clare. I believe at some point in the 1930s (some of) his family moved to London. His grandfather Charles Nono came from Roulers in Belgium to be the organist at the cathedral in Ennis.

His younger brother Charles was in the pre-war British Army and became a POW during the retreat to Dunkirk. In 2002 he self-published an autobiography but it mainly dealt with his time as a POW. I believe he has died since and regret that I never contacted him.

Hope this helps,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Default Nono again

Ha! Not surprisng that an Irishman from Limerick should make a play on words :-)

I am in any case very interested in airman from other countries including Ireland and Belgium, who so bravely fought for freedom. My Uncle and his crew rest in Belgium (crew off Lancaster W4317 QR-R)

Do you know if a copy is available anywhere of Nono's biography. Also do you know if it states anything about his part in the Skoda works raid of April 43. What is the title of the book etc.

As much info about the man as you can supply would be appreciated.

Peter

Thanks

Default and again!

Sorry I realise it was his brother that wrote the book. However I am still interested in anything you can gather about Nano the airman.

Peter

Thanks

Hallo Peter,

Unfortunately I know nothing further about Vincent Nono, bar what is on the CWGC website. The book by his brother Charles is titled FOR YOU, THE WAR IS OVER. Self-published in 2001, it does not have an ISBN (number). Apart from the dedication to Vincent there is no mention of him in the text.

Regards,

Martin.