Thread: 511 sqd Liberator StHelen

Thanks

Default 511 sqd Liberator StHelen

Looking for any information upon named aircraft St HELEN

This Liberator served with 511 Squadron but unable to trace any identity. The aircraft looks to have had the front perspex sections painted over or blacked out, possibly as she was used for VIP use.

Thanks to those who look, any help warmly received.

Thanks

Colin
    I understand those aircraft had modified metal noses. Could you narrow down the date of the photo? I do not know if new Air Britain book will be of any help, but Sqn's ORB does list serials, so it should give at least possible serials. I would look for an aircraft flown by de Gaulle.

Thanks

Franek.

A most interesting reply, I can narrow the time period to late 1942 early 1943. My works do inform me that Gen De Gualle flew in a Liberator AM922 on the 24th September 1942 with 1425 Flight which later became 511 Squadron.

Do you think your information has possibly identified AM922 as that named aircraft.

Look forward to your thoughts, thank you again. Colin.

Thanks

Colin,

The Air Britain book 'The Liberator in Royal Air Force and Commonwealth Service' - J D. Oughton gives AM922, as you say, as flying de Gaulle on 29 September 1942. The book gives quite a bit on the service history of AM922, but doesn't mention St.Helen. I have more detailed info on its time with 120 Squadron (for crew training) if its of use. I also have a photo of the aircraft if you need one.

Regards
    Peter.
    Last edited by peter; 27th October 2008 at 15:02.

Thanks

Well, I was kidding with De Gaulle, considering Napoleon died on St. Helen. In any way, if De Gaulle traveled by aircraft, then likely it was photographed at some stage for propaganda purposes. I would list all aircraft, which served at the time frame, and the try to verify one by one. Sometimes it is helpful to know about place of the photo, people visible, origin, etc.

Thanks

Peter.

Thanks for the extra information. Kind offer with the photo but if she has not got the name on her then I will not trouble you. I appreciate your troubles, regards. Colin.