Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F/l Lee 130 sqdn

Thanks

Default F/l Lee 130 sqdn

Hello,
    F/Lt Lee John R from N 130 sqdn made a crashlanding with his Spitfire near Brussels on february 10 1945 due to flakdamage. Does someone can help me with the serialnumber off the aircraft.

Thanks

Hi Alain

I can't quite answer your question, but my information does indicate he was with 610 Sqdn. at the time of the flak incident and not with 130 Sqdn. (d/u = date unknown)

LEE, John, 133032, RAFVR; Sgt. Plt. (1377974), d/u; com. Prob. Plt. Off, (133032), 6 Oct. 1942; 93 Sqdn. (Spit. Vc), d/u; DFC (93 Sqdn.), 19 Mar. 1943; Prob. Flg. Off. (WS), 6 Apr. 1943; 610 Sqdn. (Spit. XIVe), Friston, 23 Jul. 1944; Flt. Lt.(WS), 6 Oct. 1944; hit by AA, force-landed, not injured, Brussels, 9 Feb. 1945; 130 Sqdn. (Spit. XIV), Eindhoven, 10 Mar. 1945; 41 Sqdn. (Spit. XIV), 9 May 1945; instructor duties, SEAC Ferry Cmd., India, 5 Aug. 1945

Hope this info is of help, and would appreciate if you could add anything to this to assist me, too. Do you have his middle name?

Cheers
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Default F/Lt John Lee - 610 Squadron - 9 February 1945

Hello Alain

I can confirm that Steve's record is correct and, at the time, F/Lt Lee was a member of 610 (County of Chester) Squadron AAF, but unfortunately I do not have the serial.

The incident is reported in the 125 Wing ORB as follows - they were operating from B.78 Eindhoven.

"To-day, after a dismal morning we were able to get in a limited quota of activity with the following results. 610 Sqdn started the day with a weather recce at 1152 but the weather was u/s and it was not until 1630 that 3 aircraft went off on a rhubarb to the Munster area. They shot up one loco but F/Lt Lee was hit by flak and for a while was untraced. Later it was reported that he had landed at Brussels/Melsbroek with his plane shot up by flak......" and, as in Steve's message, the date is given as 9 February 1945 not 10 February, and I have also checked 10 Feb's 610 operations in case he was unlucky enough to suffer a flak hit two days running, he wasn't!!

610 squadron was disbanded on 3 March 1945, whilst at Warmwell - and "..we shall see a number of the pilots back as welcome reinforcements to our two remaining squadrons..." (130 (Punjab) and 350 (Belgian)), "two remaining squadrons" because 41 was "on loan" to 122 Wing, operating with their Tempest V's for about six weeks between late January and mid March - so he was allocated to 130 squadron and flown back to Eindhoven to join them.

At the end of the european war 130 squadron was sent back to the UK, before moving to Norway, and 41 squadron went to Kastrup/Copenhagen, and I would presume that John Lee was then transferred to 41 squadron to bring them up to strength before the move to Denmark.

What is your interest in him please - other than the serial no. of course?

cheers

Allan
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

Hi Allan

Thanks for the additional details. Just a query, though. From your text, as I read it, you are saying that 41 Squadron had Tempest V's in early 1945. This must be a typo in the 125 Wing ORB, as 41 did not receive Tempests until September 1945. At the time of Lee's movements, they were flying Spit. XIV's. Actually, 41 joined 610 at APC Warmwell in early March 1945 and returned to the Continent with a number of 610 Sqdn. pilots, following their disbandment, thereunder the new 41 Sqdn. CO (from end of March), Flt. Lt. John Shepherd. You may recall from a conversation we had a few years ago that this was also the time when 41 started receiving their bubble hood XIV's.

Cheers
    Steve

Thanks

Default John Lee etc

Hi Steve

By putting ""two remaining squadrons" because 41 was "on loan" to 122 Wing, operating with their Tempest V's for about six weeks between late January and mid March" I meant to infer that 41 squadron was on loan to 122 Wing, who were operating Tempest V's - not that 41 Squadron had Tempest V's at the time. As the 122 Wing official history so clearly puts it

"On 25th January, 41 Squadron flew in with Spitfire XIVs, and remained with 122 for about six weeks, thus giving the Wing the rather unwieldy total of six squadrons. 41 very quickly fell in with their new colleagues pronounced views on German railways and achieved excellent results, although their rather limited range kept them out of the more fruitful areas."

As 610 disbanded at Warmwell on 3 March and, according to my records, 41 arrived on 7 March, I would presume some had a few days "leisure" time awaiting their new squadron and others moved quickly back to B.78 Eindhoven to fill in the gaps in 130 and 350.

cheers

Allan
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

Hi Allan

Ah, thanks, all clear. As for the break between 610's disbanding on 3 March 1945 and 41's arrival on 7 March, the quartet posted to 41 Squadron would certainly have been fortunate enough to have enjoyed a few days leave, if for no other reason that it would have made no sense flying to the Continent, only to turn around and fly back to Warmwell again a few days later. They probably wouldn't have even had enough time to unpack!

Cheers
    Steve

Alain Guest

Hello ,

Thanks gentlemen for your help.
    Alain

Thanks

Alain
    What's your interest in Lee, please?
    Thanks
    Steve

Alain Guest

Hi Steve ,

I just wanted to add some info in my database.

Greetings
    Alain

Thanks

Default F/L Lee - 610 Squadron - 9 February 1945

Hello Alain

At the risk of appearing facetious, both Steve and I have supplied the correct date of the incident, the correct Squadron, how it was reported at the time, and one heck of a lot of background information on him and all we get in response when we both ask

"What is your interest in him please - other than the serial no. of course?"

and

"What's your interest in Lee, please?"

is "I just wanted to add some info in my database"

a response like that is not exactly helpful to two people who went out of there way to help you - is it too much to ask again "Whats your interest in Lee, please?"

Surely it cannot just be that you are looking for an XIV serial number, probably in one of these ranges MV/NH/RB/RM/SM, to match against a name as you could have done that by simply looking through the relevant pages in "Spitfire - the History" to find the squadron and date and put two and two together!!??

Allan
    Allan Hillman