Thread: 81 OTU Losses 1944

Stevieb Guest

Default 81 OTU Losses 1944

Hello All,
    I am new to the forum, and after looking around for some time I thought I would join for help in some of my research, and also hopefully offer some help too on subjects I know!

I am trying to find any information about an incident (possibly a crash - I don't know) on 81 OTU, on or about the 3rd June 1944. I know they were a Glider Pilot training unit, but with the date so close to DDay, I wonder if they actually took part in the para landings.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful,
    Thanks
    Steve

Thanks

Whitley VLA770 COO at Belconwood Farm, Myddle, Shrewsbury 3/6/44. No idea about casualties.

HTH

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Hi Steve, check out my post a few days ago, bit of a coincidence!

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3179

Can i ask what your interest in the crash is? I have extensive details on all things Shropshire, which of course includes 81 OTU. I do have more on the above accident aswell.

Cheers, Tom

Ps. 81 OTU were not involved on D-Day, but they certainly helped to train a lot of the Glider pilots that flew on the day.

Stevieb Guest

Hello Tom & DaveW,
    Thanks for the info.
    Tom, I missed your earlier post, and yes definitely a coincidence!
    I am trying to find info about a Flt Sgt J Metcalf who crashed on or about the 3rd June 1944. I have checked Bomber/Fighter/Coastal command losses but to no avail. The AHB have indicated that they may have something linking him to 81 OTU, hence my post here.
    Do you have a crew list available?
    I live about 20 miles from Wakefield Cemetery (assuming it's Wakefield West Yorkshire), so i may be able to get a photo of Clarence Stephen Nicholson's grave if he is part of the crew in question.
    Steve

Thanks

Hi Steve, that is very interesting indeed! I have the accident card details and ORB details, unfortunately the only named crew member was the pilot, a F/O Wright (I have his full name etc at home but canít remember it off the top of my head!). It would be great to add any more names to the crew listing, as unfortunately 81 OTU ORB is poor when it comes to crew listings. Can I ask why you have come across Sgt Metcalf and what details you have on him? Was he RAFVR? What was his service number? That sort of thing.

You might like to contact me off board and I will let you know the details I have gathered so far. My email address is tomthorne83ATyahooDOTcoDOTuk replacing the Ats and dots.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Hi All
    The only Metcalf that I can find, on CWGC,that seems to fit is F/Lt John Herbert Taylor Metcalf, 23, who died on 11/05/44 and who is buried in Sully, Glamorgan close to his parents home. He is described as Pilot Instr and his service No is 121322.There is no Unit given
    In the England and Wales death register for the 2nd Qtr of 1944 there is only a John Metcalf(no other initials) 21, registered at Brentford W London.This only seems to add to any confusion but could, of course, mean that Steve's Sgt Metcalf survived whatever happened.
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 30th October 2008 at 22:02.