Thread: Ladislav SVETLIK

Thanks

Default Ladislav SVETLIK

The following death notice which appeared in an Auckland, New Zealand newspaper earlier this year might be of interest to some of our Czech members.

SVETLIK, Ladislav (Larry), Ex-Czech Air Force, Ex-French Air Force, Lafayette; R.A.F., Czech Squadron 312, Service No.117371, Flt Lieut WWII. On July 27, 2008; In his 92nd year, dearly loved husband of Joan, love step-father of Jocelyn and Billy Geraghty.
    A service for Larry will be hald at the R.S.A. [Returned Services Association] Club Rooms, Neville Street, Warkworth on Thursday July 31 at 10.00am followed by private cremation. Communications to C/- P O Box 652, Warkworth.
    Jason Morrison Fuenral Services, Warkworth.

Errol

Thanks

Thanks a lot Errol! I have problem with confirmation of the death date so I really appreciate this info.

I has the luck to visit him in 1998 when I have been in NZ. He was nice man, excellent fighter with French and RAF airforce and captain with Czechoslovak Airlines becoming famous during the "Freedom flight to Erding" when 3 C-47 coming from Brno, Ostrava and Bratislava to Prague flew away from Communist Czechoslovakia on the same day to Erding in West Germany.

Pavel

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel,

Thanks for this background info on him, much appreciated.

Errol

Thanks

Default His short bio

Hello,

Extracted from the book on the 312 Sqn I published earlier this year, I can add :

Svetlik, Ladislav (cz)/RAF
    with No.312 SQn 9-40/8-42, 1-43/7-44
    raf No.787700 (NCO)
    raf No.117371 (Officer)
    Pre-war CzAF pilot with Air Regiment 3. Escaped to France on 10.06.39 and joined the Armée de l’Air on arrival. With GC II/5 between December 1939 and June 1940. Five shared confirmed victories with the French. Reached Great Britain and joined the RAF and posted in as founder member of the Squadron completed his tour in August 1942. Commissioned in January 1942. Returned to the Squadron for another tour in January 1943 as Flying Officer. In November 1944 he was sent to No.105 (T) OTU to become a transport pilot serving in 1945 at No.11 Ferry Unit and No.147 Sqn. In August he returned to Czechoslovakia and served with the Air Transport Group, at Prague-Ruzyne, which was commanded by Jan Klan, another No.312 Squadron pilot. In 1946 he joined CSA, the national airline, as a captain. Four years later, on 24.03.50, fearing persecution from the Communists, he took part in the escape of several former RAF pilots. He flew Dakota OK-WDR from Ostrava and, instead of landing at Prague-Ruzyne, carried on to Erding near Munich. He re-enlisted in the RAF with the rank of Flying Officer and served in Great Britain, Malta and Far East before retiring in 1966 as the Station Commander RAF Theddlethorpe. He initially settled in Malta and, in 1973, moved to New Zealand. One confirmed victory, No.312 Sqn, Europe, 1944.

Phil

Thanks

Thank you Errol, for this info - one of the best passed away - RIP.

Milan

Thanks

Thanks Phil, nice to have these additional details.

Errol

Thanks

A lovely gentleman - RIP

The story of his involvement in 'Freedom Flight to Erding', as mentioned by CZ_RAF is documented here:

http://freespace.virgin.net/daj.mipivo/index.htm

Thanks

A remarkable gentleman - RIP

The story of his involvement in 'Freedom Flight to Erding' , as mentioned by CZ_RAF, can be found here:

http://freespace.virgin.net/daj.mipivo/index.htm