Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hampden L4078 26 June 1940 50 Sqn.

Thanks

Default Hampden L4078 26 June 1940 50 Sqn.

Dear Gentlemen,

I'm looking for the initial burial places of the following crew:

26-27 Jun 1940

50 Sqn Hampden I L4078 VN- Op: Hannover
    P/O A S Luxmoore + T/o 2217 Waddington to attack the aerodrome at
    Sgt W C Harding + Langenhagen. Shot down by flak and crashed 0248
    Sgt G Nichols + at the road to Grasdorf near Rethen (Leine). All are buried
    Sgt A H Smith + in Hannover War Cemetery.

kind regards

Steve

Thanks

Crashed ˝ km W of Duttenstedt; crew buried at Limmer (what later may have become the Hanover War Cemetery).

Henk.

Thanks

Steve,

From Vol One of my 'For Your Tomorrow' trilogy:

Wed 26/Thu 27 Jun 1940
    Bomber Command
    Raid on Langenhagen airfield near Hannover, Germany
    50 Squadron, RAF (Waddington, Lincolnshire - 5 Group)
    Hampden I L4078 - took off at 2217 and brought down by flak, crashing in the early morning near Rethen, about 10km SSE of Hannover. All four crew were buried in the Hannover-Limmer civil cemetery, but later reinterred in the Hannover War Cemetery, also in the suburb of Limmer.
    Captain: 40628 Plt Off Anthony Seton LUXMOORE, RAF - Age 26. 520hrs. 15th op.

And Amendment per Vol 3:

p86; LUXMOORE, A S – crashed not near Rethen but 500 metres west of Duttenstedt, about 5km NW of Peine.

The Post Presumption Memorandum from which the amendment information came also gives grave numbers for the Civil Cemetery burial:
    Lusmoore plot 18, row 1, grave 1668
    Harding - ditto but grave 1669
    Nichols - ditto but grave 1670
    Smith - ditto but grave 1671

Errol

Thanks

Dear Errol, dear Henk,

first of all I'd like to thank you for your kind help.

In reference to the crash location I think that you are wrong.

I have a photo of the crash-site, newspaper article, flak report. If you want I can sent copies to you. There is only one crash that happend at Duttenstedt: 17. August 1940 Whitley P4986.

And finally the Luftgau states:
    26-27 June 1940 Handley Page Hampden Rethen/Leine at road to Grasdorf 101747 (NARA)

kind regards

Steve

Thanks

Hi again,

I'd like to add is that the "Limmer Civil Cemetery" did not become the Hannover War Cemetery. The "Limmer Civil Cemetery" was located at the Limmerstr., the Hannover War Cemetery is located at the Harenberger Str.. The Limmer Civil Cemetery was correctly named Garnisionsfriedhof. Since 1968 it is known as Hannover-Limmer-Fössefeld.

kind regards

Steve

Thanks

Thanks Steve for additional info on the crash location of the Hampden. I don't need a copy of the reports (thanks for your offer) but do think that Errol may be interested. His postal address is:
    Errol W. Martyn
    PO Box 6482
    Upper Riccarton
    Christchurch 8442
    New Zealand.

Henk.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
    Hi again,

I'd like to add is that the "Limmer Civil Cemetery" did not become the Hannover War Cemetery. The "Limmer Civil Cemetery" was located at the Limmerstr., the Hannover War Cemetery is located at the Harenberger Str.. The Limmer Civil Cemetery was correctly named Garnisionsfriedhof. Since 1968 it is known as Hannover-Limmer-Fössefeld.

kind regards

Steve

Steve,

I think you may have misread my entry for Luxmoore. It says that the crew were first buried in the Civil Cemetery, their graves later being transferred to the War Cemetery - both cemeteries in the same suburb of Limmer - according to the Post Presumption Memorandum No.2920/48 of 4 Jun 1948:

"Burial details - Hanover [sic] (Limmer) British Cemetery...previous burial...Hanover (Limmer) Civil Cemetery..."

CWGC register also has:

"Hanover War Cemetery (known locally as Limmer cemetery) and Hanover Military Cemetery are on the left of this road, 3 kilometres from the boundary of Harenberg."

Errol

Thanks

Dear Errol,

ok. Did you get my email?

regards

Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
    Dear Errol, dear Henk,

first of all I'd like to thank you for your kind help.

In reference to the crash location I think that you are wrong.

I have a photo of the crash-site, newspaper article, flak report. If you want I can sent copies to you. There is only one crash that happend at Duttenstedt: 17. August 1940 Whitley P4986.

And finally the Luftgau states:
    26-27 June 1940 Handley Page Hampden Rethen/Leine at road to Grasdorf 101747 (NARA)

kind regards

Steve
    Steve,

Thanks very much for emailing me those german documents (unable to read German unfortunately). What is the date of the newspaper report, incidentally?

My amendment entry was based on the official Post Presumption Memorandum report of 1948, which clearly states "crashed 500 metres W. of Duttenstedt'." The British authorities may have got it wrong and confused the Whitley crash location you mention with that of the Hampden, though the document was based on Missing Research & Enquiry research post war long after the 1940 Flak report (and hand written note of 1944 on it - by whom?) and took into account all the information then known to both German and British authorities.

If we could establish the first place of burial of the crew of the Whitley that might help clear up the confusion (it being unlikely that they were first buried at Hannover, given that Duttenstedt is about 25km east of Hannover?)

Errol

Thanks

Dear Errol,

I don't know when the article was published, maybe 30.6.40. However, the Article mentions the date 27. June 1940. So there is no doubt that the article refers to Hampden L4078.

The handwritten note on the flak report says R.L.M. (Reichsluftwaffenministerium) gem. 21.4.44. It's the date when the Flak report was registerd there. But this is less important.

Important is that the Flak report for the Rethen crash was passed over to the Luftgaukommando VIII on 8. July 1940 - one month before the Whitley crashed on 17. August 1940.

kind regards

Steve