Thread: Pilot Officer, MOFFAT-WILSON, DONALD

Thanks

Default Pilot Officer, MOFFAT-WILSON, DONALD

Hello,

We want to pay special tribute by holding a ceremony in 2009 in memory of pilot MOFFAT-WILSON, DONALD. Loss on 12 June 1944 in Maroué in Brittany.
    MOFFAT WILSON was born in Dublin in Ireland.
    I contacted the leaders of this city to find his family, no trace despite the help of police authorities and the mayor there.

How to find his family.
    There is an association of veterans of 165 Sqdn ?

http://www.absa39-45.asso.fr/Pertes%20Bretagne/Cotes%20Armor/12%20juin%2044/moffat_wilson.htm

Thank you
    Dan
    Cordialement,
    Regards,
    Mit freundlichem Gruß,

Dan

Association Bretonne du Souvenir Aérien 39-45
    http://www.absa3945.com/

Thanks

Hi Dan,
    This comes from a website run by 207 Sqn Association where they make space available for other Sqn Associations. They seem to do their best to keep it up to date but they can't guarantee anything
    165 Squadron Secretary Dr Peter Newman, 16 North Park Grove, Leeds, Yorkshire LS8 1JJ: tel 0113 266 3654 [AA10/00 updated]
    I don't know what significance the [AA10/00 updated] has unless it refers to Oct 2000. It may be a starting point for you
    Good Luck
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Dan
    Try writing to below ---as Dick suggests
    RAFRA - Squadrons165 Squadron Secretary -Dr Peter Newman
    www.associations.rafinfo.org.uk/squadron.htm

There is the possibility that Donald was an only child OR siblings & any extended family have emigrated ,moved to another part of Ireland or to UK.

Worth a try is looking on google for Dublin newspapers & ringing to ask to place a search notice .It takes a bit of sifting through the website to find the phone numbers & correct reporter to ask .Often a WW2 search story is given prominence.

A notice might be seen by a relative ,childhood friend of Donald or a former neighbour of the family?

Otherwise try Dublin radio stations .They might like you to do a "searching for the family/friends " broadcast ? Difficult for you to arrange this from France but the presenters might put the broadcast out themselves ?

A more remote idea & more difficult in a city is to contact Dublin churches to see if the parents are buried in a graveyard & family named on the gravestone

Of course these methods take time .

The police & mayor may not have tried the above approaches .

Anne

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you for your responses.

I discovered on the website of the CWGC that Donald Moffat Wilson had a 21-year-old brother also pilot Officer, he died six after him.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=4029422

Thank you

Dan
    Cordialement,
    Regards,
    Mit freundlichem Gruß,

Dan

Association Bretonne du Souvenir Aérien 39-45
    http://www.absa3945.com/

Thanks

Dan
    I have seen that there were 3 Moffat -Wilsons [MW] on the CWGC site.I didn't look at the other two the first time as I just put in D for Donald.

Moffat -Wilson seems an unusual surname.Did you notice that the third man is a Guy BARGO M W, aged 55, who was married to Edith, living in Hertfordshire ,buried in Ipswitch ? Was he killed while on active service IN England, to be buried in a home cemetery ? He was too old to enlist for overseas service ,was he ?

Donald & Guy Patrick H's mother was Edith, living in Dublin ? Donald & Guy's father was Guy BURGO also living in Dublin.

Is this misprint of the Burgo/Bargo ? Was Guy Bargo the father of Donald & Guy & if so why is the address different ?

Guy Patrick was 28 when killed & is buried in UK .Was he training ? It seems too old to be training -unless he was instructing ? Unlikely as he was the first commissioned rank -a Pilot Officer .

Were all the men in the MW family killed ??

All very puzzling & interesting ??? I hope someone can work it out

Anne

Thanks

Guy P H Moffat-Wilson was commishioned into the Royal Artilliary in January 1936, his RAF commishion in the London Gazette follows on from this, hence his age and rank.

1564194 Donald MOFFAT-WILSON (173334); 28th Jan. 1944
    This enlistment might indicate a Edinburgh enlistment.

The CWGC texts
    Son of Guy Burgo Moffat-Wilson and Edith Moffat-Wilson, of Dublin, Irish Republic.
    Son of Guy B. Moffat-Wilson and Edith Moffat-Wilson, of Dublin, Irish Republic.

Guy B Moffat-Wilson.
    Son of William Moffat Wilson and of Kathleen Wilson (nee Neilson);
    husband of Edith Moffat-Wilson, of Northchurch, Hertfordshire.

Would the different addresses indicate that the CWGC contacted her later on about her sons headstone than her husbands and she had moved back to Ireland.

The army Roll of Honour on Findmypast.com lists Guy B Moffat Wilson as born in Eire and residing in Hertfordshire. I can't view the full entry however as I've no credits.

I cannot find Guy B Moffat Wilson on the 1911 Census in Dublin at least, he would have been 22 years old. There is in 1912 however a Guy Bargo Wilson who sails into London from Brisbane, so perhaps thats related. Too strange a name not to be.

There is a William Moffat Wilson however living at Waterloo Road, Dublin who was a stockbroker. Wife is Anne Kathleen and their sons, brothers of Guy Burgo perhaps are Frank Hamilton and Geoffrey Moffat. Note that in this case, Wilson is used as the family name, and Moffat is a second Christian name as such. It is also recorded that they have had 4 children in total and all four are still alive.

CWGC shows that a Cecil Vere Wilson died in 1916, he was son of William Moffat Wilson of Colege Green, Dublin which is an address I found for the stockbroker discussed above.

And Frank Hamilton Wilson served with the Australian Army!
    http://www.aif.adfa.edu.au:8080/showPerson?pid=327687

And finally, theres a Geoffrey Moffat Wilson commishioned as a chaplain in 1917!

So family perhaps:
    William Moffat WILSON or MOFFAT WILSON
    married to Anne Kathleen.
    Sons
    Cecil Vere
    Geoffrey Moffat
    Frank Hamilton
    Guy Burgo ?

Interestingly, there is a William Moffat Wilson born around 1854 in Ireland listed as a patient
    at the Royal Asylum for the Insane in the Scotish 1891 Census. His occupation is given as Stockbroker!! The hospital is in EDINBURGH St Cuthberts parish.

####################################
    Contact any of the irish Times, irish Independant, Evening Herald newspapers.

Two newspaper archive sites are:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/search/archive.html

Irish Times in particular. Be sure to mention the fact that it appears all three men died.

Two radio stations I might recommend for this would be

RTE Radio 1
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/index.html

And Newstalk
    www.newstalk.ie

their listener ship would be ideal for this I think.

I have checked the online and paper phone books and their are no Moffat Wilson's in the city but they are probably just Wilson's now!

regards

Dennis
    Dublin
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 3rd November 2008 at 19:25. Reason: (1) Added AIF info for F H Wilson (2) Added Guy Bargo info
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

DENNIS
    It's a fascinating story & sparks many questions.Dan has aroused some interest in his search for Donald's family.

Donald died only 6 days after his father [Guy Burgo or Bargo]
    How was his father, Guy B, killed ?

Perhaps Guy B was already in the Army, pre WW2 & his son, Guy PH, joined him

Perhaps Frank William & Guy B had emigrated to Australia or perhaps their mother was originally Australian ? Frank staying in Aus. to join the AIF WW1 .They would have been too young to join the gold rush to Australia.

Why was grandfather William in an Edinburgh hosp.for the insane when he lived in Dublin ?

The Scots often included a mother's maiden name in their child's names. Perhaps this was also custom in Ireland ?

Suited more to a genealogy forum than rafcommands but could be a way to finding Donald's relatives.

DAN--
    There are 2 Wilsons living in Alma Rd, St Kilda .Number 52 & 64 .Donald's uncle lived there in 1916, dying in 1953 [from Dennis' aif site address]
    Go to Australian white pages residential & put in Wilson then Victoria then St Kilda

http://www.whitepages.com.au.These Wilsons just might be cousins -or not ?

Anne

Thanks

Default Pilot Officer Moffat-Wilson, Donald

My name is Richard Nairn and I am one of the nephews of the late Donald Moffat Wilson. My mother is the only surviving member of Donald's immediate family. On 13 June 2009, together with my brother Michael and several of my cousins, I attended the ceremony commemorating Donald which was held in the village of Maroue, Brittany, France. Here I saw the field where Donald's spitfire crashed, spoke to some of the witnesses (now in their 80s) and examined part of the parachute which was recovered from the crash. It is true that 1944 was indeed a tragic year for the Moffat Wilson family as the three male members died within six months. The two brothers, Pat and Donald, were serving pilots in the RAF and their father, Guy, was a private in the Royal Army Service Corps. Although Ireland was a neutral country in World War II, it was not unusual for Irish men and women to serve in the British armed forces and in many cases to give their lives for others.

I have done extensive research on Donald's life and that of his family members. There are still certain puzzles that I would like to solve. For example:
    - Where was Guy Moffat Wilson in 1911 when the rest of his family were living in Dublin? His older brother Frank later emigrated to Australia.
    - Why did Patrick Moffat Wilson switch from the Army (which he joined in 1936) to the RAF in 1944 after the death of his younger brother, Donald?
    - What was the location and actual cause of death of Patrick Moffat Wilson? It is said that he crashed while training in an RAF plane.
    - Was Donald Moffat Wilson's spitfire hit by enemy flak in the earlier attack on a train at Guincamp, Brittany, and could this have affected his ability to pull out of a dive at the final location of the crash in Maroue?
    - Was the design of the Spitfire Mk IV (extra fuel tank behind the pilot) one of the contributary factors in the crash/

If anyone can answer these questions, I would be grateful if you could get in touch.

Thanks

Guy P H Moffat-Wilson's death age 28 is registered in the Bilston district, Staffordshire.

The reference for the certificate is Volumn 6b Page 470

using http://www.hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/search39-47.php

I can't seem to find another airman killed on this date that can be connected to his death.

Similarly, I cannot find his death in the Flight Magazine or The Times, which would indicate if he was Killed or Died on active service.

One of the folks here will likely have the answer for you easy enough.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com