Thread: Spitfire P9450 64S 5/12/40

Thanks

Default Spitfire P9450 64S 5/12/40

Can anyone settle whether this a/c crashed at Brenley (Brenchley?) , near Maidstone as per Aeromilitaria's Spitfire list and BoB the Forgotten months, or was it in France? The History has 'damaged near Rouen', The pilot, Hopgood, is buried at Boulogne .

I suspect that 'in France' is the correct situation, but what happened at Brenchley?

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Dave,
    What about damaged near Rouen, crashed into sea off Brenley/Kent and pilot's body washed up on the French coast ?
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi,
    FCLvol1 revised just has
    Shot down by Me109 over Kent coast. Buried Boulogne.
    Is it known where the aircraft came down ? in the UK or the Sea ?
    So if the action was over Kent I would go with Henk on this.
    Alex

Thanks

Thanks for your contributions gents.

Aeromilitaria Crash list does not have an incident at Brenley (sic) on this day, however Ray Sturtivant's early Spitfires list does, as does BoB the Forgotten Months. The History makes no mention of Brenley nor does A/c casualties in Kent 1939/1940 or FCL.

I have not found a place name in Kent' Brenley'; the nearest being 'Brenchley' which is about 6m SW of Maidstone and at least 30 miles from the south coast. Henk's suggestion that the pilot baled out into the Channel is a possibilty, but where is Brenley?

BTW P9450 was a much photographed a/c, I have four different views of her.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Dave
    From Google maps there is a Brenley between Maidstone and Faversham, but that is N Kent and he would have had to travel a fair way to reach the Channel. The P-Serials records P9450 as shot down by Bf109 on patrol Brenley Kent.In fairness the name Brenley doesn't come up on Google maps but the name Brenley is used for 2 service areas on the A2 where it crosses the A299, the nearest village is Boughton under Blean about 5mls from Faversham.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

There is a Brenley Lane and also a Brenley Farm: same area as Dick has suggested. Near Boughton, Favoursham. Best to use maps from the period as new ones tend to miss some of the older places out. Likewise: some of the older places are now gone leaving nothing or just a name.

Best Wishes.
    Robert.

Thanks

Dick and Robert, many thanks for that. Brenley Corner and Brenley House are marked on modern maps, east of Faversham.

Just speculation now that Hopgood baled out over the water whilst returning to Hornchurch.

regards

DaveW