Thread: Command Reserve

Thanks

Default Command Reserve

According to the 41 Squadron ORB, on 16 September 1939 Spitfire L1041 was "released from Command Reserve" to replace an aircraft that had been destroyed in an accident.

However, M&S's 'Spitfire; The History' states that this aircraft was initially issued to 41 Squadron on 6 July 1939 and passed to 54 Squadron on 29 May 1940. There is no mention of any other allocation between these dates, but the ORB suggests it must have been put in reserve for some time, before being re-allocated to 41 Squadron.

Does anyone have knowledge of such aircraft movements, or suggest how/why this may have occurred? What was meant by Command Reserve (first time I have come across this)?

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Steve, Hi,
    I'm not trying to hijack yr thread but I have an interest in Reserves. You are looking for a Command Reserve which I assume (the downfall of many a researcher!!!) was some sort of bulk store of airframes that could be doled out upon the instant to replace battle losses. It must have worked for, if I am not mistaken, there was (around BoB time) a reasonable sufficiency of hardware. The same could not be said for the Drivers, Airframe?
    My problem is that I'm trying to find out who, what, where, and when, with the Tactical Air Reserve (TAR). I know there was one - my Unit was 'invented' from within it!! I have emailed (several weeks ago) milords at the RAF Museum for guidance - nix response so far. All I ask is that as you devil deeper and deeper into this matter if you come up with any reference(s) to the TAR you give me a 'heads up'!
    And that goes for any of the Experts reading this post/thread.
    TIA
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Hi Peter

Thanks for the post; will do. Don't worry about the lack of reply from the RAF Museum; it usually takes a few weeks. Considering the amount of queries they must get from laymen and professionals - and nutters like us - it's understandable that it takes some time. However, in my experience, regardless of the subject of my query, they have always come back with a full reply. Just wait, you'll hear from them - and then can you let me know as well? :-)

Cheers
    Steve

Thanks

Aircraft on strength were split into IE and IR

Immediate equipment and Immediate reserve.

Command reserve was a combination of IR on the units and and those in Aircraft Parks/MUs for the Command. Fighter, Middle East etc. When a aircraft was transferred to IE it was released from Command reserve and the records amended.

Tactical Air Reserve was that assigned to a particular operation eg Millenium, Overlord etc.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross,
    In all correspondence I have seen, IE means "Initial Equipment" rather than "Immediate".
    David D

Thanks

Thanks Ross and David
    That's a lot clearer. I didn't think of immediate reserve, as I thought Command Reserve might have been something more formal, but now it's clear. Thanks.
    Steve