Thread: RAF Policeman

globby Guest

Default RAF Policeman

Sorry if this is the wrong section or forum for requesting information but I don't know where else to ask.

I am researching our family tree and am trying to trace details of my wifes Grandfather who's profession is listed as Policeman R.A.F on her parents wedding certificate also her mothers address is listed as 9 Halton Camp Wendover where I believe she was stationed with her father.

I would be most grateful if someone could advise or point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks

Hello,

can you give us his name, we can check a few items for you then. London Gazette etc.

cheers

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi
    Your wife, as a Blood relative , could have access to her Grandfather's service record which she can obtain from RAF Innsworth, Gloucester, although I don't know the full address,and they make a charge for it. The Address you gave suggests that your Mother-in Law lived in Married Quarters on the camp and her Father was part of the permanent Staff as a Service Policeman. RAF Halton,nr Aylesbury, had several functions but was chiefly where the RAF trained it's Trade Apprentices over courses that lasted up to 3 years.Halton came to concentrate on the Airframe, Engine and Armament Trades and the Electrical, Electronic and Radio Trades eventually went elsewhere, those trained were intended for life long careers in the RAF, those serving shorter terms were trained elsewhere. Halton was also the site of a RAF Hospital,and Flying Training.
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 3rd November 2008 at 18:42.

Thanks

Dick,

Service records are no longer held at Innsworth - it closed earlier this year. Records are now held at RAF Cranwell - for the address see http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797

Brian

Thanks

Thanks Brian
    I missed that one
    Regards
    Dick