Thanks

Default 410722 - Unaccounted airmen - 22-7-1941

What were the places of death registration for:

Cpl Henry BENNETT - 340047;
    AC2 Edward C. DOCK - 1533543;
    AC2 Norman S. MERRILEES - 1346102;
    Sgt (Pilot) Thomas J.L. McENERY - 1056761 - 23 Sqn (Ford, Sussex);
    Cpl James G. SAUNDERS - 917532;
    Sgt (Pilot) Francis J. SMITH - 580592 (from Newfoundland) - 144 Sqn (North Luffenham, Rutland); place of death may have been at Wenlock, 5 miles from Donnington);
    LAC George W. SMITH - 906533 - 24 Sqn (Hendon, Middlesex), and
    AC2 Alfred J. WATKINS - 960900 - 120 Sqn (Ballykelly, Londonderry).

Also looking for the unit of the following airmen commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial:

P/O Geoffrey N.C. MIEVILLE - 101072 - Panel 33, and
    Sgt Herbert B.K. MOSS - 1172592 - Panel 49.

Proposed aircraft losses this day:

Hurricane I - V7440 - 55 OTU - spun into ground Usworth.
    Tiger Moth II - N6669 - 21 EFTS - abandoned 2 miles NE of Marlow, Buckinghamshire.
    Tiger Moth II - T5624 - 2 EFTS - flew into ground Naunton, near Upton-upon-Severn, Worcestershire.
    Tiger Moth II - T5810 - 17 EFTS - crashed 4 milies from Peterborough.

Regards and thanks for your help.
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi Henk
    Dock,36,registered at Newton Abbot, Devon
    Norman Merrilees(no S on the register) registered at Surrey Mid E
    McENERY,20, registered at Harwich, Essex
    Francis J smith,22, registered at Wenlock but as a register Office this is in Shropshire and is the normal office for a death at the RAF Hospital at Cosford,and would cover airfields like High Ercall, Sleap etc. There is a Donnington in the area as well.It is part of what become the large new town of Telford
    There is a George W Smith,21 registered at Paddington, W Central London ,and another,age 37, registered at Surrey N W. There is no age on CWGC for the Smith with the service No 906533 but his unit is given as 24 Sqn which I believe was based at Hendon N London(Hendon is the closer to Paddington).The other Smith on CWGC was 24 and on 7 Sqn which was at Oakington and is in Chorley as dying on 3/5/41 near Oakington returning from a raid on Hamburg, the date also on CWGC.There is a George W Smith,24, registered at Cambridge in the 2nd Qtr 1941
    Bennett didn't come up on the register,neither did Watkins but as his unit is 120 Sqn which was in N Ireland he may have died outside England and Wales
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 5th November 2008 at 14:06.

Thanks

Hi Henk,

you can discard the Hurricane:
    http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=21916
    P/O J A “Paddy” Hemmingway pilot ok

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thanks Dick and Pavel for your help.
    Pavel: also thanks for you PM on burial location Jiri ENGEL.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

There is a 25 yr old James George Saunders registered in the New Machar district of Aberdeenshire during 1941.

Bennett DOAS
    Dock DOAS
    Merrilees DOAS
    McEnery - KILLED IN ACTION (WHILE FLYING IN OPERATIONS AGUNST THE ENEMY)
    Saunders DOAS
    F J Smith - can't say I found him among the many Smiths
    G W Smith - can't say I found him among the many Smiths
    Watkins not found, which is not uncommon for probable Northern Ireland Casualties.

MIEVILLE and MOSS are both 55 OTU - GRO RAF

Note, I also add status for men 18 July in that old thread.
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3250&page=2
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 17th November 2009 at 19:29.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Henk,

The website below shows McEnery on Hurricane Z3503, although with 3 squadron.

http://www.cieldegloire.com/sq_raf_003.php

Martyn

Thanks

Thanks Dennis and Martyn for this additional info.
    Henk.

Thanks

Default Sgt. Francis Joseph Smith Service number:580592

Hello,I am not sure if I am doing this right nor how one does post information but thought I try again. i did try to post yesterday..but ..alas ..it appears to have gone into computer neverland. I'm the niece of Sgt. Francis Smith. He was my father's brother. Dad died when my siblings and I were young but Uncle Frank was talked about through out the years but little detail was known . Dad had a hard time talking about him and we think he still felt the deep loss of his passing..We always wanted to know more about this man who left Newfoundland as a teenager to go to England in the RAF never to return again.It was emotional when I came across this site last week and found Uncle Frank's name among the unaccounted airmen and airwomen.I am not clear of where these records go but am very thankful they are being compiled .Mr. Henk Welting must have been an amazing man filled with such incredible motivation, hard work and respect to undertake this project. His work is greatly appreciated and his loss is no doubt strongly felt today. I know I appreciate all his work which has provided me with the opportunity to read this site and educate myself ,particulary after watching the 70th celebrations on the the landing in Normandy a few weeks back.Last year I undertook to work on the family genology . In this process i did find some records on Uncle Frank through the Forces War Records in England. Additionally, I found an article in a Newfoundland newspaper,The Daily News, dated September 20,1941 that provided a bit of an account of Uncle Frank's record , illness and passing . The information in the article may answer the questions initially posed by Mr. Welting. I am not sure what I do from here . Do I cut and paste it if I can ? Do I just log the reference specifics? Is there a way to access Uncle Frank's war record? Things are somewhat complicated in that when Uncle Frank joined he was not a Canadian but a British citizen as Newfoundland and Labrador were a separate country then .I live in Nova Scotia , Canada .Thanking you for your attention and continung hard work.Sincerely ,Olivia Smith

Thanks

According to Scotland's People, James George Saunders, Corporal Royal Air Force, died of "non suppurative, non haemorrhagic Encephalitis", from which he had been suffering for 8 days, at Kingseat Naval Hospital, Edinburgh.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Post Unaccounted airmen 22-7-1941

Quote Originally Posted by olivia58 View Post
    Hello,I am not sure if I am doing this right nor how one does post information but thought I try again. i did try to post yesterday..but ..alas ..it appears to have gone into computer neverland. I'm the niece of Sgt. Francis Smith. He was my father's brother. Dad died when my siblings and I were young but Uncle Frank was talked about through out the years but little detail was known . Dad had a hard time talking about him and we think he still felt the deep loss of his passing..We always wanted to know more about this man who left Newfoundland as a teenager to go to England in the RAF never to return again.It was emotional when I came across this site last week and found Uncle Frank's name among the unaccounted airmen and airwomen.I am not clear of where these records go but am very thankful they are being compiled .Mr. Henk Welting must have been an amazing man filled with such incredible motivation, hard work and respect to undertake this project. His work is greatly appreciated and his loss is no doubt strongly felt today. I know I appreciate all his work which has provided me with the opportunity to read this site and educate myself ,particulary after watching the 70th celebrations on the the landing in Normandy a few weeks back.Last year I undertook to work on the family genology . In this process i did find some records on Uncle Frank through the Forces War Records in England. Additionally, I found an article in a Newfoundland newspaper,The Daily News, dated September 20,1941 that provided a bit of an account of Uncle Frank's record , illness and passing . The information in the article may answer the questions initially posed by Mr. Welting. I am not sure what I do from here . Do I cut and paste it if I can ? Do I just log the reference specifics? Is there a way to access Uncle Frank's war record? Things are somewhat complicated in that when Uncle Frank joined he was not a Canadian but a British citizen as Newfoundland and Labrador were a separate country then .I live in Nova Scotia , Canada .Thanking you for your attention and continung hard work.Sincerely ,Olivia Smith
    This may answer some questions on how Uncle Frank died. Thought I would post whole article for you, if any help.....

Sgt. Francis Joseph Smith Service number:580592

"Further Details of the Death and Burial of Sgt. Frank Smith, R.A.F., of Brigus: At the opening of the Memorial University College on Thursday, a tense, emotion-charged silence filled the Assembly Hall when the President, in a tone of reverence and fond remembrance, read the Honour Roll of Old Memorials who have paid the supreme sacrifice in the war against Nazi Germany. One of the names on the list was that of Sergt. Frank Smith, R.A.F., son of Mr. Michael and the late Mrs. Smith, of Brigus.
    Sergt. Smith joined the Royal Air Force in England in 1938, before the outbreak of war. During his period of active service, he had a splendid record, taking part in “pamphlet raids” and making in all, a grand total of thirty five flights over Germany, besides his activities in connection with other Countries.
    In October, 1940, Sergt. Smith entered the R.A.F. Hospital at Gosford, suffering from spinal trouble. After a gallant fight against the grimmest foe of all, the young Airman took his final flight, free from war and pain, on July 22, 1941. He was buried with full service honours at Churchyard in Donnington, Albrighton.
    The bereaved father has received several comforting letters from officials in England, assuring him that everything humanly possible was done for Sergt Smith during his illness. Following is an extract from a letter written on July 30th by the Wing Commander, commanding R.A.F. Station Cosford: —
    “Sergeant Smith was under the care of the Hospital of this Station since October 1940, during which time he received the personal attention of the Senior Medical Oofficer and Officer Commanding the Hospital.
    “I can assure you that complete arrangements were made respecting the funeral, which took place with full service honours, and although it was not possible for myself to be in attendance, I was represented by an Officer of this Station, a Newfoundlander himself. The body was taken to the Roman Catholic Church on the Station, and as is customary, remained overnight. A Requiem Mass was said prior to interment, the Mass being attended by a number of personnel of this Station.”
    Later, Mr. Smith received a most sympathetic, comforting letter, from Group Captain C. O’Neill, dated August 3rd, and which is reproduced below in its entirety:
    R.A.F. Hospital, Cosford. 3rd August, 1941.
    Dear Sir, – I am writing to you to give you some details regarding the death and last illness of your son, Sergt. F.J. Smith, and to express to you on my own behalf, and that of the Hospital Staff, our heartfelt sympathy in your bereavement.
    As I told you in my last letter, he had been steadily going down hill for a long time. I am afraid there was no hope for him. I feel sure however, you will be comforted to know that he was surrounded by all possible care and attention, and that everything humanly possible was done for him. He was most popular with all the Staff, so that looking after him and attending to his wants and comfort, was genuinely a pleasure for the Sisters and Staff. I may add that they were genuinely distressed when he died.
    He was an excellent patient right through his illness. He never complained right up to the end. He had a philosophical outlook and disposition, and a quiet sense of humour, which were particularly endearing to everyone.
    Though his illness was a long one, it was not uncomfortable, and he had no pain or distress. He was frequently attended by the Roman Catholic Chaplain, and had the Sacraments frequently, so that you may feel particularly happy on that score. His death was most peaceful.
    He was buried with full service honours at the Chuchyard in Donnington, Albrighton. The funeral was particularly nice and impressive. There was a wreath from Admiral Silver, who had taken great interest in him, and who had visited him with his wife a number of occasions in the Hospital. I also had two wreaths sent from the Hospital, one being marked, “In loving memory from alll his relatives and friends in Newfoundland”, and the other from the Hospital Staff.
    The position of the grave is being notified to the War Graves’ Commission, who will make provision for a head-stone at the conclusion of the war. In the mean time, a temporary cross will be provided. Arrangements have been made for regular care and attention to be given to the grave, and for flowers to be placed there at regular intervals.
    Please again accept our most profound sympathy in your great loss.
    I remain, Yours truly, C. O’NEILL. Group Capt. Commanding R.A.F. Hospital, Cosford.
    And, finally, an extract from a letter written to Mr. Smith by the Assistant Trade Commissioner for Newfoundland, dated Aug. 6, 1941: —
    “I would like to express my deep condolences in your great loss, as well as the sympathy of all members of the staff of this office. Your son was well known to us all in the office, from his many visits when on leave. He was very well liked, and we were all most distressed to hear of his tragic death.”
    Mr. Smith deeply appreciates the kindness which prompted the writers of these letters, in the mist of exacting duties and the peril of German raids, to try to bring a ray of cheer to a grief-stricken father in the far-away Island of Newfoundland.

Found in the "The Daily News" newspaper Sept. 20, 1941.
    (NLGenWeb Newspaper TranscriptionsDaily News
    Misc. News Items - July - December 1941)

cheers
    Olivia
    Last edited by olivia58; 12th July 2014 at 17:39.