Thread: Allan Anderson HALLEY (79160)

Thanks

Default Allan Anderson HALLEY (79160)

The London Gazette of 4 June 1940 announced that Sergeant Allan Anderson Halley had been granted a commission for the duration of hostilities as a Pilot Officer on probation with effect from 12 May 1940. On 20 June it announced that he had been confirmed in his appointment and had been promoted to the war substantive rank of Flying Officer with effect from 12 May 1941.

On 17 July 1942, the supplement to the London Gazette announced that Halley’s position as a Flight Officer (on probation) had been confirmed with effect from 12 May 1942.

The Gazette of 28 May 1943, published 2 June, records that Halley was mentioned in despatches.

He is mentioned in "The Maw" by J R Stevens where he is referred to as 'Alan' Halley when a Pilot Officer flying Hudsons with 608 Squadron at Wick in Scotland. However, I don't know anything more about him. I don't know his nationality and he's not mentioned on the Canadian, Australian or New Zealand Sites. I am assuming that he survived the War as his name is not included on the Commonwealth War Graves Commision Website but I can find no further mention of him. Can anyone help?

Wee Gerry

Thanks

Scotlandspoeple site is showing one Allan Anderson Halley born in Scotland in 1915. And he may have died in 1996.

The old phone books do show an Allan A Halley living in Scotland up to 1979 at least. And I think there is a relative still at that address.

Hope that helps.

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com