Thread: F/Sgt Hugh Macleod RAFVR 1343398

Thanks

Default F/Sgt Hugh Macleod RAFVR 1343398

Hugh Macleod
    F/Sgt RAFVR 11.05.1944 (Aged 32)

“Hugo” was a Flight Sergeant missing over France on operations flying DH Mosquito aircraft on the night of 10/11 May 1944. 107 Squadron had flown Blenheims and Bostons from 1939 until May 1943 with Bomber Command. The squadron moved to Lasham on 1 February 1944 and remained there until 23 October 1944 flying de Havilland Mosquito VI twin-engined fighters. On 14 April 1944, shortly before Hugh was lost, six Mosquitos of 613 Squadron flying from Lasham (I believe) famously attacked the Gestapo Headquarters in The Hague from only 50 feet.

Anybody know which Command 107 was with in May 1944, and how Hugh met his end?

EG Aircraft/location/crew and what happened?

I tried this man a year or two back with no response. He was from Stornoway in the Outer Hebrides, was a Scoutmaster then he worked in Leeds for several years before the war.

Regards
    Malcolm Macdonald

Thanks

Hello Malcolm
    On 10th May 1944, 107 Squadron was part of 138 Wing, 2 Group, 2nd Tactical Air force.
    F/S MacLeod was killed in a Mosquito VI NS905 FTR from a night intruder mission to Chateaudun.
    Pilot was W/O GR Leiper(+)
    Regards
    Andy
    Last edited by Andy Ingham; 8th November 2008 at 10:48.

Thanks

If you pop the date and Sqnd number into Geoff's CWGC serach engine:

You also find W/O George Robertson LEIPER 1117631 from Aberdeen, also missing, listed on Runnymede.

I'm sure someone will have the details of the loss posted by the time I hit submit in any case.

regards

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Thanks for that information lads.

Sorry for keeping you both up on a moonlit night! Your navigation was spot on for this one, Andy!

Kind Regards
    Malcolm Macdonald

Thanks

Malcolm,
    One detail which might point you in the right direction is that the Mosquito VI was a Fighter Bomber, and NOT a fighter as such. Also the 2nd TAF was the 2nd Tactical Air Force (NOT Airforce). My trusty copy of "Mosquito" by Sharp & Bowyer (pages 240, 245, 250, 251, 253 - 258, of Chaper 16, and 386) has numerous mentions of the activities of 107 Sqdn during the period you are interested in. 107 Sdn was obviously still with 2 Group at this time (under 2 TAF).
    David D

Thanks

Thanks David

I am grateful for the information you included and I am suitably chastised.

I inadvertently called the 'Mossie' a fighter but my question asked which command 107 Squadron was in, and this underlines the versatility of the aircraft and also that I had not categorised it (in my mind) as a fighter.

I must get my brain and fingers to synchronise.

DEFINITELY NOT AIRCREW POTENTIAL!

Regards
    Malcom Macdonald